A tasty and delicious macro-friendly side that is sure to make us all carrot lovers! They’re not crispy, deep-fried strips of potatoes. I’ll just rip that bandaid off. Haha. But they’re super good and such a fun way to do your veggies.
Of course you can roast a batch of these carrot fries without the basil yogurt sauce. But everyone knows if it’s shaped like a fry, and can be dipped, it should be dipped.
That’s a thing.
How to Make Parmesan Roasted Carrot Fries with Basil Yogurt Sauce
For the Roasted Carrot Fries You’ll Need:
- Carrots, cut into “fries”
- Olive oil
- Dried parsley
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Lemon zest (optional)
For the Basil Yogurt Sauce You’ll Need:
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Garlic powder
- Store bought pesto (we love the vegan Trader Joe’s option)
- Clear balsamic vinegar or lemon
Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees. While that’s warming up, cut your carrots into fry-shaped strips by first cutting large carrots in half or thirds lengthwise. Standing each piece on its end, slice them into long flat slices, then cut each slice into fries. (Peeling is optional, I like the skin!)
Next, lay your cut carrots on a large sheet pan, and make sure not to crowd! Give them a spray or drizzle of about 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and then sprinkle with the dry spices. Toss well and roast for 12 minutes or until tender. When tender, remove from the oven and turn on your broiler. Give them another toss and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil for another five minutes or so (on low if you have the option) making sure not to burn!
That’s the worst right? When you’re in the final stretch of a beautiful recipe and look away from the broiler for eighteen seconds too long. STAWWWWP IT.
Anyway, as for the sauce, just combine all the ingredients for the basil yogurt sauce in a small bowl. DONE.
Remove carrots from the oven and transfer fries to a dish. Zest some lemon over the top. It’ll make you feel fancy and make everything fresher and yummier. Sprinkle with some fresh basil, and serve with simple pesto yogurt sauce! Enjoy.
These are perfect as a side to pretty much any grilled protein, sandwich, or burger! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Herby Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
- Apple Cider Dijon Grilled Chicken
- Brown Sugar Spiced Pork Tenderloin
- Rosemary Garlic Flank Steak
- Fig and Blue Cheese Turkey Burger
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
I’ve got a few other macro-friendly carrot side dishes for you to try if you liked this one! Here are a few of my favorites,
Or, if you’ve had enough carrots, give any of these tasty and macro-friendly sides a try!
I’ve got a whole cookbook full of macro-friendly dishes if this is your jam! If you’re still easing into macro counting (or you’re a pro… all are welcome!) be sure to follow me over on Instagram. I share recipes, tips, tricks, and favorites daily!
Parmesan Roasted Carrot Fries with Basil Yogurt Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb Carrots, cut into 'fries' (705 g)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (15 g)
- 2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (28 g)
- Lemon Zest (optional)
Simple Basil Yogurt Sauce (Serves 4: 30 g each/ 26cal, 1.7c, 1f, 2.4p)
- 1/3 cup Non-fat Greek Yogurt (85 g)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Store Bought Pesto- We love the vegan Trader Joe's option.* (15 g)
- 1 Tbsp Clear Balsamic Vinegar or Lemon ** (15 g)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Cut your carrots into fry-shaped strips by first cutting large carrots in half or thirds length-wise. Standing each piece on its end, slice them into long flat slices, then cut each slice into fries. (Peeling is optional, I like the skin.)
- Lay cut carrots on a large sheet pan making sure not to crowd. Spray with 15 grams or 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkly with dry spices. Toss well and roast for 12 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and turn on your broiler. Toss your carrots and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Broil for another five minutes or so (on low if you have the option) making sure not to burn the cheese.
- Combine all ingredients for the basil yogurt sauce in a small bowl.
- Remove carrots from the oven and transfer the fries to a dish. Zest some lemon over the top, sprinkle with some fresh basil, and serve with simple pesto yogurt sauce.