I LOVE a good sandwich/burger, especially when it is piled high with yummy toppings. There’s just something about holding dinner in two hands. This veggie packed turkey burger with green goddess slaw is great for everyone, whether you count macros or not. It’s SO flavorful, high in protein of course, but packed with veggies and herbs!
How to Make a Veggie Packed Turkey Burger with Green Goddess Slaw
What You’ll Need for this Veggie Packed Turkey Burger:
- Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Cauliflower, riced and steamed
- Fresh Parsley
- Frozen Garlic Cubes (or minced cloves)
- Kosher salt
- Dried Mustard
- Chili Powder
- Lean Ground Turkey
What You’ll Need For the Green Goddess Slaw:
- Cilantro, chopped
- Parsley, chopped
- Chives, minced
- Basil, chopped
- Green Goddess Dressing (make it and use it on everything)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
It looks like a long list, but this veggie, turkey burger is easy to make. Most of the work is either tossing or blending. First, just place all the burger ingredients (besides the meat) into the food processor. You’ll process the bell pepper, red onion, riced cauliflower that has already been steamed, arugula, fresh parsley, cilantro, garlic, Kosher salt, Oregano, dried mustard, and chili powder until it all comes together like a salsa. Once it’s been pulsed to perfection, transfer mixture to a large bowl and combine with ground turkey.
I have been using the Fulton Farms organic ground turkey from Costco. It’s labeled at just 4.5 fat/4oz. By my calculations below, you can estimate that you’re getting almost exactly that 4 oz portion in this 172 gram finished product. SO, for example, if you use a ground turkey or beef with 8 fat per 4 oz serving, you can estimate that you’re getting 8 fat in this 172 gram (two burger) portion. Protein might go down by 1 or 2 but nothing to worry about.
If that makes zero sense to you, ignore me! And just use what you have and enjoy your burger. Ha.
Next, heat a large cast-iron or another heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat with a spritz of avocado oil. Using a large 3-4 oz cookie scoop, and oiled hands, scoop a (105 g) ball into your hands and flatten nice and thin. You could also put a small sandwich bag on each hand before forming the patties because it’s sticky! Throw your burger down in the hot pan and leave it undisturbed. You want to get your burger nice and browned before flipping. Cook for a couple of minutes per side or until nice and browned and cooked through. I like to hit the patty with a little extra kosher salt before flipping.
You’ll probably need to cook in batches to get them all done. But they cook so fast! But use the biggest skillet you’ve got. I LOVE my massive cast iron.
Now for the Green Goddess Slaw. I LOVE a good, herby green sauce, and I love a crunchy slaw. So this is a win for me. So easy to throw together and build a bowl!
Serve burgers over slaw with any additional toppings you love! I love avocado and pickled onions. Some cotija or feta cheese would be so yummy. And obviously more fresh herbs is ALWAYS a winner in my book.
If you’re not feeling salad, you can always serve your burger in a bun of course. I love these on a ciabatta since the burgers are a little softer from the veggies. It goes nice with crustier bread. I prefer to hollow out the bun because it makes a nice pocket to hold the slaw. Smash some avocado on your toasted bun, pile on the burger and slaw, and drizzle with more Green Goddess Dressing!
If you are looking for more sandwich and burger recipes you should follow me on Instagram @lillieeaatsandtells. I am always sharing my meals and what I am making. You can also check out my cookbooks for more macro-friendly meal ideas that everyone will love.
Veggie Packed Turkey Burger with Green Goddess Slaw
For the Burgers
- 1 Bell Pepper (150g)
- 1/2 Red Onion (150g)
- 1 1/2 cup Cauliflour rice, steamed (200g)
- 1 cup Arugula (30g)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (15g)
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves (15g)
- 4 Frozen Garlic Cubes (or minced cloves)
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 lb Lean 93/7 Ground Turkey (665g)
- Place all burger ingredients except for ground turkey in the food processor and pulse until it all comes together like a salsa. Transfer to a large bowl and combine with ground turkey.
- Heat a large cast iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat with a spritz of avocado oil. Using a large 3-4 oz cookie scoop, and oiled hands, (or a small ziplock bag on each hand because it’s sticky!), scoop a (105 g) ball into your hands and flatten nice and thin. Throw it down in the hot pan and leave it undisturbed, to get it nice and browned. I like to hit with a little extra kosher salt before flipping.
- Cook for a couple minutes per side or until nice and browned and cooked through. Cook in batches so you don’t crowd the pan. My massive cast iron from Amazon comes in handy for this recipe.
- Toss together all slaw ingredients. You'll find the Green Goddess Dressing recipe HERE. Serve burgers over slaw with any additional toppings you love! I love avocado and pickled onions. Some cotija or feta cheese would be yummy. Make sure to drizzle with more Green Goddess Dressing!
Serving size: 2 burgers (172 grams total)
162 cal, 6.7c, 4.5f, 24.2p, 1.7 fiber MFP Lillie Eats and Tells Veggie Packed Turkey Burger Nutrition for Slaw
125 g each
40 cal, 6c, 1f, 1.4p, 2.8 fiber MFP Lillie Eats and Tells Green Goddess Slaw Nutrition for 1 serving of each (this is what’s listed below in nutrition facts)
202 cal, 12.9c, 5.5f, 25.5p, 4.5 fiber MFP Lillie Eats and Tells Veggie Packed Turkey Burger with Green Goddess Slaw