Easy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Don’t you just love a good chicken sandwich? Especially a buffalo chicken sandwich. With the toasted bun, and the creamy buffalo mixed with the shredded chicken. Is anyone else getting hungry? YUM.
The sauces and veggies added into this buffalo chicken sandwich make it ten times better. It tastes so indulgent — food-truck worthy– but the macros rival my lightest lunch salad!
Are you a toasted bun kind of person? I LOVE a good toasted bun, and by hollowing out my bun/roll, I get ALL THE GOODNESS of a legit sandwich– not wrapped in lettuce, not open-faced–but a legit sandwich. Only I shave off a handful of carbs AND get to fit more goodness inside. Of course there’s more than one way to eat your sandwich. All you really need is a hamburger bun and you can call it good. It’s up to you!
How to Make Your Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
For the bun, I like to get the biggest, fluffiest, and airiest white rolls I can find. The lighter they are the less macros they have, no matter the size!
Slice your roll in half and hollow out the top. (See the recipe below about hollowing out your roll.) Spray each side with a light mist of olive oil and toast both halves of the roll face down until it’s nice and toasty.
Next, toss a handful of slaw with your choice of dressing (I use my Jalapeno Avocado dressing) or apple cider vinegar for a quick option. You can even leave it dry if that’s what you prefer.
Do a little prep and thinly slice your cucumbers and avocado. Next, place your cucumbers on the bottom bun. Spoon in the warm creamy buffalo chicken and then layer with the avocado, dressed slaw, and pickled onions. Enjoy!
If you’re using leftover creamy buffalo chicken, throw it on the pan to heat it up for a few minutes, so it’s nice and warm for your sandwich.
For the pickled onions, I have a recipe for those here, or you can use raw onion. Whatever you prefer! I must say, I keep pickled onions in my fridge all the time and love to throw them on sandwiches, salads, and tons of other things. They make EVERYTHING BETTER.
What You Need for Your Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 1 large kaiser bun or bolillo
- A layer of thin sliced cucumbers
- ⅓ cup creamy buffalo chicken
- ¼ of a small avocado
- Handful of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 Tbsp Jalapeno Avocado Dressing
- Pinch of quick pickled onions
I love this recipe because first and foremost, it’s delicious, AND it’s literally a few chops and throwing it all on a bun! Quick and easy–just how we like it.
For more yummy recipes like this one, follow me on Instagram @lillieeatsandtells. You can also follow me if you want to be friends. I like that too.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Disclaimer: the grams I’ve listed manually after each ingredient are accurate for a single recipe, but they will not multiply if you choose the 2x or 3x option. Please make sure and multiply on your own!
- Slice your roll in half and hollow out the top. (See notes below). Spray with a mist of olive oil spray and toast face down in a hot pan until brown and toasty.
- Toss a handful of slaw with dressing (or vinegar if you don’t have any, or of course you can leave dry!)
- If you’re working with cold leftover buffalo chicken, throw your portion in the hot pan for a minute or two to heat through.
- Add thin layer of cucumber to the bottom bun, pile with warmed buffalo chicken, avocado, dressed cabbage, and pickled onions. Top with hollow toasty top and enjoy!