When you are hungry, you don’t want to spend all your time cooking. You want to get that food in your belly! These macro-friendly quick chickie chick chicken philly sandwiches are not only delicious, but they are also quick and easy.
What You’ll Need for the Quick Chicken Philly Sandwich:
- Brioche hot dog bun
- Skinny chipotle cream
- Chopped grilled or rotisserie chicken (I like this blackened one)
- Pepper, onion, and mushroom skillet (recipe below)
- Sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
What You’ll Need For the Pepper, Onion, and Mushroom Skillet:
- Olive oil
- Onion, sliced thin
- Bell peppers, sliced thin (or 1 lb bag of frozen sliced bell pepper)
- White mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt (more to taste)
- Garlic, minced (or frozen cube)
How to Make a Quick Chicken Philly Sandwiches:
The first part to making your quick chicken philly sandwich is making the veggie skillet. To make the veggie skillet, heat a LARGE cast iron (or other heavy) pan to high heat and add 7 grams of oil spray. I love my huge cast-iron pan because it is big enough that I don’t have to worry about ingredients spilling over the sides. And trust me, I like adding lots of yummy ingredients.
While your pan is heating up, slice your onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Make sure your knives are nice and sharp so that slicing is quick and easy. If you are looking to make this dish even quicker than it already is, you could always get sliced mushrooms from the store. I also love the frozen sliced bell peppers from Trader Joe’s when I am looking to speed things up. Either way works. Add your sliced onions and peppers to your cast-iron skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes. You’ll know when it’s time because the veggies will start to become fragrant and begin to soften.
Add mushrooms and salt to the veggie skillet and cook for another 5-10 minutes. I love salt wile I am cooking because of the flavor, but it also helps break down your mushrooms quicker. Make sure to toss often until all veggies are soft. Once your veggies are ready, add garlic and cook for just one more minute before turning off the heat. You don’t want to burn the garlic. Burning it will give the garlic (and all the veggies) a bitter taste. Yuck!
Time to Get Toasty
Turn your broiler to low. Place brioche hot dog buns on a large cookie sheet, as many or as few as you need to feed your group! Open the buns gently and spray with a light mist of olive oil spray. Then, sprinkle buns with salt and stick them in the oven to broil for just a minute until toasty. Keep a close eye on your buns. Brioche burns super fast!
Time to Build the Quick Chicken Philly Sandwiches
Spread inside of your toasted brioche buns with chipotle cream. I used about 20 g of chipotle cream on each bun. Fill with sliced chicken and veggie mixture. There’s no need to warm up the chicken if it’s leftover. Remember, this sammy is all about speed. Next, you’ll want to rip your slice of cheese in half and drape both halves over the top of the sandwich. Stick the sandwiches back into the oven to broil for another minute or so until the cheese is melty. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to make it extra pretty! ENJOY.
I love serving this quick chicken philly sandwich with a simple green salad. The sandwich is so good on its own that you don’t need much, but if you know me, you know I love my greens. The veggies we made for the sandwiches are also really yummy in salads, bowls, or pitas.
Not only is this quick chickie chick chicken philly sandwich quick and easy, but it is also macro-friendly and full of flavor. I hope you end up loving it just as much as I do! If you are looking for other macro-friendly recipes, check out my cookbooks and meal plan. All of my books are full of healthy recipes that don’t sacrifice flavor in order to meet your macros. I also share a ton on Instagram and TikTok. I would love to have you come hang out with me!
Quick Chicken Philly Sandwiches
- 1 brioche hot dog bun (mine were 24c/2f/6p)
- 1 1/2 tbsp skinny chipotle cream (20 g)
- 1/4 cup chopped grilled or rotisserie chicken like this blackened one (80g)
- 1/4 cup pepper, onion, and mushroom skillet (recipe below) (80g)
- 1 sliced reduced fat provolone cheese (0c/3f/5p) (19 g)
For the Pepper, Onion, and Mushroom Skillet
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (7 g)
- 1 onion, sliced thin (265 g)
- 3 bell peppers, sliced thin (or 1 lb bag of frozen sliced bell pepper) (454 g)
- 16 oz sliced white mushrooms (250 g)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or frozen cube)
To Make the Veggie Skillet
- Heat a LARGE cast iron (or other heavy) pan to high heat. Add 7 grams of oil spray and let it heat up.
- Add onions and peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Add mushrooms and salt and cook for another 5-10 minutes, tossing often, until all veggies are soft.
- Add garlic and cook for just one more minute before turning off heat. You don’t want to burn the garlic.
To Make the Sandwiches
- Turn your broiler to low. Place hot dog buns on a large cookie sheet, as many or as few as you need to feed your group! Open them gently and spray with a light mist of olive oil spray. Sprinkle buns with salt and broil for just a minute until toasty, keeping a close eye. Brioche burns fast!
- Spread inside of buns with chipotle cream (20 g on each bun).
- Fill with sliced chicken (no need to warm if it’s leftover) and veggie mixture.
- Rip your slice of cheese in half and drape both halves over the top of the sandwich. Broil for another minute or so until the cheese is melty.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley to make it extra pretty! Serve with a simple green salad and ENJOY.