I mean have you ever been sorry you ate tacos? I love them with all my heart. It’s just a perfect food formula right? And these blackened salmon tacos with fresh mango and creamy, lightened up cilantro lime ranch are NO DISAPPOINTMENT.
What you’ll need for the Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Extra thin Mission corn tortillas if you’re watching your carbs and can find them. Just eight carbs per corn tortilla (+ gluten free), and they’re not that annoying, tiny, street taco size you could swallow whole.
- Blackened salmon — find it over here! Make extra… I used to think I didn’t like seafood left over, but I’ve found I LOVE keeping this blackened salmon in my fridge to use in sandwiches and fish tacos, or salads like this farro and sweet potato one, or on top of this Mexican Ceasar!
- Pico de gallo! Any pico will work. The macros are NOT gonna vary much. And if you don’t feel like prepping it, just chop some tomatoes, onion, and cilantro and call it good. Ok but then you’ve practically made it so maybe you should just go all the way. I should let you know if you ARE going to make your own pico, or this cucumber salsa (that I’m OBSESSED WITH) you will absolutely want this alligator chopper. (Affiliate link). One of the few gadgets I pulled the trigger on…and would die without now. I cannot believe it took me this long. Tiny perfect diced veggies in a few swoops. (chop the onions separately if you like large pieces of onion like me… and maybe even a dash of onion powder) And of course salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Anyway back to our list:
- Avocado – duh (dice it up to add to your Pico if you want an avocado salsa situation!)
- Fresh mango, diced… adds so much with so little!
- Fresh or roasted corn if you’ve got it on hand- if not you’ll live… but yum!
- Cotija cheese because it absolutely makes every taco ten times better. Ok but if you can’t find it I’m sorry I made you feel bad. Use feta. Sounds weird if you haven’t heard that before but trust me. I know we like cheddar and monterey jack but just TRUST ME.
- Cabbage and some extra lime and cilantro for good measure.
- OH BUT DON’T FORGET the lightened up creamy cilantro lime ranch. That plus the salmon and mango combo is the magic. (so much better than sour cream in my opinion!)
Some make-ahead tips for the blackened salmon tacos
This can be the easiest meal ever. But it will taste like you’re at a restaurant. A good one. Like one with a lot of stars on Yelp AND a lot of reviews.
- I love to have the dressing on hand for the week. It’ll keep about that long. I even freeze some in small plastic ramekins to have for later. I’ll just pull it out and let it thaw on the counter, then fridge. It’s slightly runnier once it’s been frozen but we still drench everything we eat in it and fight over the last drops so I’m gonna say it works.
- You can make the pico ahead. It’s best on the first day but we’ll use it for a few days after.
- The salmon is amazing fresh but inside this taco, I would never know if it’s leftover! I promise. (pro tip: add just the smallest dash of olive oil to keep it nice and moist) Feel free to double the recipe planning to use it once for salads, and once for tacos etc. It’s so easy and takes ever meal to the next level!
Will these salmon tacos be on the menu next taco Tuesday? Don’t forget to invite me if they are! What other taco recipes do you love? Let me know in the comments!
Blackened Salmon Tacos
- 3 extra thin Mission corn tortillas
- 3.5 oz blackened salmon 100 g. If using leftover, microwave for just 15-30 seconds.
- 1 oz avocado 28 g
- 1/2 tbs cotija cheese 7 g
- 3 tbs pico 45 g – recipe below
- Pinch of fresh corn 20 g
- Chopped fresh mango 20 g
- Shredded cabbage
- 2 tbs lightened up creamy cilantro lime ranch
- Fresh lime and cilantro
- For the Pico de gallo just chop everything small and combine in a bowl!: (Macros for 60 g=12 Cal/ 2.4C/0F/0.6P– pretty much nothing)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes scoop out insides with your fingers 240 g
- 1/2 a small onion red or white! 140 g
- 1 bunch cilantro 20 g
- 1 jalapeño 30 g
- Pinch ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime juiced
- Heat tortillas in a pan over medium/high heat until hot and flexible, spraying each side with a mist of cooking spray. Sprinkle with a little salt. OR if you love them charred, cook them right over your stove top flame till you’ve got little burned spots and flip!
- Build tacos by dividing each component between the three tortillas. Start with salmon, then a slice of avocado, sprinkle of cotija cheese, pico, corn, mango, cabbage, and a drizzle of cilantro lime ranch. Spritz with fresh lime juice and add extra cilantro if you love it!
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!
This came out sooo yummy! I used frozen wild caught salmon from Costco and since I had Bolthouse Farms ranch on hand, I just added lime juice & cilantro to that.
These are amazing!! Everything blends together so much to make a fish taco you can’t find in the restaurants!
my first glance at the pictures of this dish was like: i must try it as soon as possible xD
These look so good! I love combining avocado and salmon. Delicious!
I made the salmon, pico and creamy cilantro dressing and it was all fabulous. This combination of toppings worked perfectly together. I’m already looking forward to eating this again 😉
Music to my ears!