Ross and I went to school and met and fell in love in the land of Cafe Rio. Pretty much planned our future over sweet pork salads. I pretended I was eating salads to get into wedding shape even though a Cafe Rio salad is just a giant burrito with extra lettuce and dressing. So it just makes you fatter than a burrito. But fat and happy. SO GOOD.
Like so many other Utah love birds… anything resembling Cafe Rio will always have my heart. And I have to admit, I was actually one of the few cilantro vinaigrette lovers… BUT with my new lease on life through macro-counting… I’ve learned it’s actually a lot easier to make a light creamy dressing than a light vinaigrette. Vinaigrettes with no olive oil are the pits.
But this creamy cilantro ranch is an AMAZING replica of the classic rich liquid gold from Cafe Rio. I know logically it can’t be as good… because fat taste super good! And I’m constantly checking myself to make sure I don’t ruin my pallet and tell people food is good when it’s actually gross rabbit food … but honestly this blew me away the first time I made it…. that it could be SO CRAZY LOW IN MACROS and still SO good! We put it on everything and I don’t miss a thing! And while I’m grateful to Bolthouse Cilantro Avocado when I’m in a pinch… to me this FOR SURE wins.
And it takes five minutes so…. GO
Lightened Up Creamy Cilantro Lime Ranch
- 1 packet of ranch dressing mix 1 oz
- 1 cup light mayo I used best foods only 1 gram fat per serving I’m sure you could use greek yogurt if you feel better about that.
- 1 cup fat free milk fairlife has lowest carbs (add more if it’s too thick)
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 1-2 jalapenos seeded depending on how spicy you like it!
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 whole lime juiced about 2 tbs
- ½ cup packed cilantro
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Place in fridge for an hour if you have time. No big deal if not.