Ross and I went to school and met and fell in love in the land of Cafe Rio. Pretty much planned our future over sweet pork salads. I pretended I was eating salads to get into wedding shape even though a Cafe Rio salad is just a giant burrito with extra lettuce and dressing. So it just makes you fatter than a burrito. But fat and happy. SO GOOD.
Like so many other Utah love birds… anything resembling Cafe Rio will always have my heart. And I have to admit, I was actually one of the few cilantro vinaigrette lovers… BUT with my new lease on life through macro-counting… I’ve learned it’s actually a lot easier to make a light creamy dressing than a light vinaigrette. Vinaigrettes with no olive oil are the pits.
But this creamy cilantro ranch is an AMAZING replica of the classic rich liquid gold from Cafe Rio. I know logically it can’t be as good… because fat taste super good! And I’m constantly checking myself to make sure I don’t ruin my pallet and tell people food is good when it’s actually gross rabbit food … but honestly this blew me away the first time I made it…. that it could be SO CRAZY LOW IN MACROS and still SO good! We put it on everything and I don’t miss a thing! And while I’m grateful to Bolthouse Cilantro Avocado when I’m in a pinch… to me this FOR SURE wins.
And it takes five minutes so…. GOPrint
Lightened Up Creamy Cilantro Lime Ranch
The macros turned out SO low on this! And we love it and put it on everything. Tacos, nachos, rice bowls, mexican salads, taquitos…. all things Mexican.. you get it.
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 23
- 1 packet of ranch dressing mix (1 oz)
- 1 cup light mayo (I used best foods only 1 gram fat per serving) I’m sure you could use greek yogurt if you feel better about that.
- 1 cup fat free milk (fairlife has lowest carbs) (add more if it’s too thick)
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 1-2 jalapenos seeded (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 whole lime juiced (about 2 tbs)
- ½ cup packed cilantro
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Place in fridge for an hour if you have time. No big deal if not.
This makes a huge batch. Feel free to cut in half. Or we like to make a big batch and freeze it in plastic ramekins from Smart and Final for constant replenishing since we fly through it!
- Serving Size: 2 tbs (30 g)
- Calories: 21
- Fat: 0.7
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 2.8
- Protein: 0.8