One of the best things, whether you are feeding a crowd or filling your belly, is a big bowl of salad with all the fixings. It’s no secret that I LOVE big bowls of greens, which is why I love coming up with new flavors for salad combinations. One of my new favorites is Waldorf Rotisserie Chicken Salad. It’s not totally traditional, because I’ve got my own macro-friendly spin, but it’s SO GOOD! Plus, who doesn’t love a good leftover rotisserie chicken recipe?
What You’ll Need to Make a Waldorf Chicken Salad:
- Shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken breast
- Large apple, diced
- Stalks of celery, chopped
- Red onion, diced small
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Toasted pecans, chopped
- Nonfat Greek yogurt or dairy-free sour cream/yogurt
- Lite mayo
- Clear balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar- I love lemon infused by Baker and Olive
- Freshly squeezed lemon
- Poppy seeds (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
How to Make a Waldorf Chicken Salad:
This Waldorf chicken salad is so easy! First, let’s talk about the chicken. You can use any cooked chicken breasts. In a pinch, I love to use the package of rotisserie breast meat from Costco. You just have to take a minute to pick thru it and get it nice and shredded or chopped to your liking! How great is it when you find good recipes to use rotisserie chicken? Why make things hard?
Once you’ve got your chicken ready, combine a diced large apple, chopped stalks of celery, diced red onion, chopped fresh parsley, and tossed toasted pecans in a large bowl. If you are wondering where the grapes are, I’ve skipped them because I wanted this salad to be great for meal prep. I don’t love when grapes sit and get too squishy so I took them out. But feel free to add some! Swapping some in for some of the apples will keep the macros essentially the same.
Never miss a recipe! Sign up for my emails!
Next, it’s time to make the dressing. Whisk together nonfat Greek yogurt (or dairy-free sour cream/yogurt), lite mayo, clear balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon, Kosher salt, and black pepper. I also like adding poppy seeds, but they are totally optional if poppy seeds aren’t your thing.
Also, if you really want your flavors to pop, you have to try the infused vinegars from Baker and Olive. I talk about Baker and Olive a lot, but it’s because they are my family’s favorite! The peach and lemon are the absolute BEST! They are so fresh and take any dish to the next level. For this recipe, I used the lemon-infused vinegar and it is so good!
Once your dressing is made, pour it over the top of your salad ingredients. Toss well! You can enjoy your Waldorf Rotisserie Chicken Salad immediately or stash it in the fridge for your week’s meal prep.
Is this Waldorf Roasted Chicken Salad recipe gluten-free and dairy-free?
This recipe for Waldorf chicken salad is naturally gluten-free, just make sure and use the dairy-free sour cream or yogurt option to meet dairy-free needs. The macro difference is nearly negligible if using non-fat Greek yogurt or my favorite Forager dairy-free sour cream.
We love this Waldorf chicken salad with crackers, on rice cakes, in lettuce wraps, or tossed in a bowl with finely chopped kale for a big green salad! Just drizzle a little olive oil, or additional lemon or good vinegar on top and give it a good toss!
Waldorf Chicken Salad
If you are loving this macro-friendly spin on Waldorf chicken salad, you should check out my cookbooks. They are full of recipes with a macro-friendly flair that tastes so delicious. I also love sharing what my family and I are loving on Instagram and TikTok. Life’s so much better when we are all eating yummy food and hanging out together.
Waldorf Chicken Salad
For the Salad
- 3 cups Shredded or chopped chicken breast (454 g)
- 1 large Apple, diced (210 g)
- 8 Stalks of celery, chopped (208 g)
- 1/4 Red onion, diced small (50 g)
- 1 cup Fresh parsley, chopped (30 g)
- 1/4 cup Toasted pecans, chopped (30 g)
For the Dressing
- 3 Tbsp Nonfat Greek yogurt or dairy-free sour cream/yogurt (45 g)
- 3 Tbsp Lite mayo (45 g)
- 2 Tbsp Clear balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar- I love lemon infused by Baker and Olive (30 g)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh squeezed lemon (30 g)
- 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over the top. Toss well!
- Enjoy immediately or stash in the fridge for your week’s meal prep. We love this with crackers, on rice cakes, in lettuce wraps, or tossed in a bowl with finely chopped kale for a big green salad! Just drizzle a little olive oil, or additional lemon or good vinegar and give it a good toss!