A good Cobb salad will ALWAYS have my heart. So classic and satisfying. Add this creamy, lemon, basil, buttermilk dressing, and the knowledge that it’s got all the flavors of your favorite Cobb for great macros?? It’s a NO BRAINER.
What’s in this Cobb:
- Greens and romaine- I like some of the fresh crunch of romaine but still lots of nice color and rich green from a spring mix.
- Hard boiled egg
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper
- Fresh basil
- Reduced Fat blue cheese
- And of course this creamy lemon basil buttermilk dressing I’m obsessed with.
The Creamy, Lemon, Basil Dressing I’m obsessed with. Ha. What’s in it?
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Reduced-fat buttermilk
- A yummy light vinegar
- Fresh basil
- Avocado for just enough fat – trust me.
- Fresh lemon
Dressings like this are my favorite. Just throw it all in a blender! Now you’ve got yourself amazing salads all week. And the macros beat almost any store-bought dressing out there.
How long will the dressing stay good?
Don’t be afraid of the avocado. The lemon and vinegar preserve this just beautifully. I keep a jar in my fridge for at least a week, then freeze the rest in small plastic ramekins like these ones.
What to use the Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing on?
The creamy lemon basil dressing is so perfect on this Cobb, but I’ve been putting it on literally any salad I make lately. Loving it on grain salads like this farro and sweet potato one, or the summer chopped with brown rice, or this STAPLE rainbow veggie, peach summer salad of mine. It’s also amazing tucked inside a crunch wrap, or drizzled on pizzas or flatbreads!
Want to add some meat to it?
I kept the macros simple without an ADDED protein for macro-tracking ease. And you get a decent amount from the egg, cheese, and bacon. But feel free to add some chicken, steak, shrimp or salmon! This blackened salmon is a clear winner right now for me. SO good with this bowl of flavors…. Do it.
Cobb Salad with creamy lemon basil dressing
For the salad
- 250 g lettuces I do half mixed greens and half romaine, chopped
- 60 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 40 g avocado chopped
- 25 g sweet bell pepper diced
- 1 slice bacon I use the precooked from Costco for ease!
- 1 hard boiled egg chopped
- 1/2 oz 14 g reduced-fat blue cheese (I find the Treasure Cave® brand at Stater Bros.®)
- 15 g red onion diced
- 1/4 cup 50 g homemade creamy basil buttermilk dressing (recipe below)
- Fresh basil chopped
- Plenty of course salt and fresh cracked pepper
Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing (2 Tbs (30 g) of dressing= 24 cal/1f/2.3c/1.9p)
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 2 tbs 30g white balsamic vinegar (or sub champaign vinegar or even apple cider.)
- A big handful of fresh basil 20 g
- 2 cloves of garlic or frozen cubes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 a small avocado 40 g
- 1/2 tbs parmesan 20 g
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice 30 g
- 1 tsp honey 7 g
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- This makes about 490 grams of salad. That’s big but I eat the whole thing with some added protein for a meal. Feel free to double it for the family to use as a side and log your portion in grams off of My Fitness Pal. I’ve pre-loaded it by grams to provide that option! But the macros below are for this entire bowl if you don’t want to bother weighing your final portion.
- To log this exact salad in My Fitness Pal, search “Lillie Eats and Tells Cobb Salad with Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing”. If you eat one recipe you can log the whole 490 g serving. But you can also double or triple it for a crowd and log whatever portion of it you take. You can also search and log the dressing for when you want to add more or use it later. “Lillie Eats and Tells Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing”.