The marinade for this flank steak is sweet, garlicky, and full of warm spices. Plus, you probably already have all the ingredients you need to make it. If you love our staple brown sugar spiced pork tenderloin, you’re going to love this sweet garlic spiced grilled flank steak. Fire up the grill, grab a loaf of crusty bread, and toss your favorite salad. Dinner is done.
I love meals like this that feel restaurant-worthy, but are the EASIEST! Easiest plus yummiest makes me wonder why we do anything else! It’s the winning formula- duh. Just mix up a quick marinade and throw it in a bag with your flank steak. Later, grill it! Got it?
Sweet Garlic Spiced Marinade
This marinade is sweet and garlicky– and obviously “macro-friendly” (which is mostly going to mean it’s not full of olive oil which sneaks in fat and calories you might find are totally unnecessary.) The warm spices play so nicely with grilled, savory flank steak. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic (or frozen cubes of garlic)
- Chili powder
Most of these ingredients are pantry staples. YAY! No big grocery run. Just grab some flank steaks– throw a couple in the freezer for next time while you’re at it! You can even add the marinade first for a really easy dinner in the future!
One of the best parts about this marinade is that you can leave it on for just 30 minutes if you are low on time, or make it in the morning and let it sit in the fridge for up to 6 hours. Obviously more time let’s it sink it a bit more, but I’m the world’s worst planner so we’re usually just letting it sit on the counter for 30. Either way, it’ll be amazing!
How to Make Sweet Garlic Spiced Grilled Flank Steak
The first thing you’re going to do is combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Just whisk everything together, making sure the brown sugar smooths out and isn’t lumpy. Next, using a sharp knife, trim any obvious fat off your flank steak. Then, place your flank steak in a shallow dish or a large resealable bag, and pour the marinade over the steak. At this point, you can either let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes, or you can put the marinating steak in the fridge for up to 6 hours. If you decide to put the steak in the fridge, pull it out at least 30 minutes before you cook it. You’ll want to bring it up to room temperature.
When you’re ready to cook, either heat a cast iron skillet over high heat or fire up your grill. Be sure to spray your skillet or grill with a little bit of avocado oil to prevent sticking.
While things are heating up, remove your steak from the marinade, letting any excess marinade drip off. Sprinkle each side of your flank steak with good amounts of kosher salt and cracked pepper. Then, sear for 3-4 minutes on each side. The amount of time you need to cook depends, of course on the steak’s thickness. So just keep an eye on it, and use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Pull it off the heat when the internal temperature reaches 130°. The meat will actually continue cooking for a few minutes after you pull it off the grill.
Place the flank steak on a plate or cutting board and tent it with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Slicing against the grain is so important! You’ll avoid those tough hunks of meat that pull out of your sandwich (which is where our leftovers go) on the first bite. So take a minute to see which way the lines are running through the meat. Then cut perpendicular to that, and you’ll create bites of meat that are tender instead of tough.
Serving Suggestions for Sweet Garlic Spiced Grilled Flank Steak
Here are some macro-friendly sides that go beautifully with this flank steak to make a full dinner:
- Spring Asparagus and Grain Salad
- Cobb Salad with Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing
- Smashed Potatoes with Creamy Chimichurri
More Grilled Protein Recipes
If you’re ready to do some more grilling this summer, here are a few other grilled protein recipes you might like:
- Balsamic Herb Grilled Chicken
- Lemon Basil Honey Grilled Chicken
- Sweet Chili Glazed Cilantro Grilled Chicken
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @lillieeatsandtells if you make this sweet garlic spiced grilled flank steak and tell me how much you love it!
Sweet Garlic Spiced Grilled Flank Steak
Disclaimer: the grams I’ve listed manually after each ingredient are accurate for a single recipe, but they will not multiply if you choose the 2x or 3x option. Please make sure and multiply on your own!
- 1½ lb flank steak
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar (45 g)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (30 g)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or use frozen cubes
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and spices to make the marinade.
- Trim any obvious fat off the flank steak and place it in a shallow dish or a large resealable bag.
- Pour marinade over steak and let marinade for 30 minutes at room temp, or store in the fridge for up to 6 hours. Pull it out 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring back to room temp.
- Heat a grill or cast iron skillet to high heat. Spray or drizzle a little avocado oil in the skillet or grill and let it get nice and hot.
- Remove your steak from the marinade and give each side a good sprinkle of kosher salt and some cracks of pepper.
- Sear for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove when internal heat hits around 130, since it will continue to cook after you pull it off.
- Tent with foil and let steak rest for five to ten minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.