Fine. I’m just looking for things to smother in romesco it’s true. But these steak pitas with romesco sauce and whipped herb feta are HIGH in flavor — but actually so easy to throw together.
I could happily stand over the counter dipping thin slices of grilled flank steak in romesco all day. But when I want to be all grown-up and make a meal out of it–one I can even serve to guests–this combo is killer. And STILL macro-friendly.
What You’ll Need for Steak Pitas with Romesco and whipped feta
- Josephs pitas
- Whipped herbed feta (see recipe below)
- Grilled flank steak (like this one, or you can use your own) (this is a great place to use leftover grilled flank steak.)
- Sliced cucumber
- Romesco sauce(You can use my favorite easy homemade version here, or Trader Joe’s also has a great store-bought option… and their tzatziki is also delicious!)
- Pickled onions (PLEASE go make these– they take like five minutes and you will NOT regret having them in your fridge to pile on every sandwich, salad, wrap, and taco for the rest of your life. TRUST ME. AND click here for the pickled onions.
For the Whipped Herb Feta:
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3-less fat cream-cheese
- Crumbled reduced fat feta
- Handful of basil, chopped
- Clove of fresh garlic or a frozen cube
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Green onion or chives
- Zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- Red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
Combine all of the above ingredients into your food processor. Blend or pulse until smooth.
How to Make The Steak Pitas
These steak pitas with romesco and whipped herb feta come together super quickly! Get started by preheating your oven to 350. Then you’ll want to lay pitas on a sheet pan and give them a mist of olive oil spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. After that’s done you can add 1 tbsp of the whipped herbed feta yogurt, layer with 50 grams of steak, and top with 1 tbsp romesco sauce. Pop them in the oven to bake for about 3-5 minutes… just until pitas and steak are warm. (You don’t want to RE-COOK leftover steak. There is nothing worse than overcooked steak!)
Remove from your pitas from the oven and top with cucumbers, pickled onions, and fresh herbs. We love mint, cilantro, or basil– whatever we’ve got! Feel free to pile on some arugula or your favorite greens as well!
I get the Joseph’s pitas on Amazon or sometimes at Walmart. They’re a great formula for a filling, super macro-friendly meal when I don’t want a salad but don’t have a big family-style dinner prepped. You can throw anything in a warm, salted pita with some yummy spreads and it’ll be delicious and filling. There really isn’t much that can beat them at 9 carbs per round. They’re not amazing cold and dry, but heated in a skillet or oven with a little olive oil spray and salt? They’re perfect.
If you don’t like steak, try substituting grilled chicken, fajita steak or chicken, or even taco meat. Recipes below!
Be sure to follow along on Instagram for more quick, macro-friendly, and delicious recipes!
Steak Pitas with Romesco and Whipped Herb Feta
Whipped Herb Feta
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt (85 g)
- 1/4 cup 1/3-less fat cream cheese (62 g)
- ½ cup crumbled, reduced fat feta (56 g)
- handful of basil, chopped (7 g)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped. Or 1 frozen cube
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped (3 g)
- 2 tbsp green onions or chives, chopped (12 g)
- 1/2 lemon– zest and juice (15 g)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (15 g)
- pinch of kosher salt and pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Lay pitas on a sheet pan, spray with a mist of olive oil spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Spread each pita with 1 Tbsp whipped herb feta, then layer with 50 grams of steak, and 1 tbsp romesco. Bake for 3-5 minutes… just until pitas and steak are warm. (You don’t want to RE-COOK leftover steak.)
- Remove from the oven and top with cucumbers, pickled onions, and fresh herbs. We love mint, cilantro, or basil– whatever we’ve got! Feel free to pile in some arugula or your favorite greens as well! Maybe top with more whipped feta or romesco sauce.
Whipped Herb Feta
- Combine all ingredients for the whipped herb feta in a small food processor. Blend or pulse until smooth.