Quick and Easy Breakfast Nachos:
When I first started counting my macros, I was afraid that it meant some foods were just going to have to be a thing of the past. Like nachos! I LOVE a good plate of nachos, but your classic plate, piled high with cheese and meat and guac and sour cream will do quite a number on your macros, and your gut, and probably the way you feel for the next 24 hours. Ha.
I understand some like to go big or go home, and would just choose to save the real thing for an indulgent night out and accept the aftermath. Sometimes I’m on that team! But USUALLY, I’d rather find a way to satisfy my nacho craving in way I can literally enjoy every day if I want, without needing a nap. Or going hungry the rest of the day.
So I’m not suggesting these resemble any styrofoam clamshell full of nachos from your local taco shop. But if you want to spice up your morning, in just a few minutes you can have some quick and easy– and even HEALTHY breakfast nachos.
Plenty of protein of course from this egg mixture. It’s mostly egg whites mixed together with one whole egg, cottage cheese, and a Laughing Cow pepper jack cheese wedge. This mixture acts as almost as the ‘meat’ on top of your nachos. Feel free to add bits of bacon or another meat of your choice along with the egg mixture. I kept this meatless.
In this recipe, you’ll notice I use some low-fat or specialty items. Obviously you can substitute whatever you like! I’m just pretty particular to find especially macro-friendly products and get the most bang for my buck! For this recipe, you’ll see my all-time favorite low-carb wraps, Cut Da Carb, fat-free sour cream, low-fat cottage cheese, egg whites, and the Laughing Cow cheese wedge. These are all products that I find so so useful when I’m trying to make lower fat, higher protein, TASTY recipes.
How to Make Your Breakfast Nachos
First, turn your pan to high heat and spray it with a light mist of olive oil. While your pan is heating up, hold your Cut Da Carb wrap so the length of it runs left to right, and rip it into strips. I should tear easily in pretty straight lines if you’ve got it facing the right way.
Next, stack the strips on top of each other and use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the strips into triangles. I like to do this right over my pan so I can let them drop directly into the hot, oil-sprayed pan. Once all of your “chips” are in the pan, Immediately spray them with another mist of olive oil–this should equal about 3 grams of oil. Sprinkle with at least ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, or more to taste.
Toss the chips around right away to avoid letting them stick together. Let them cook in the pan, tossing often, for a few minutes until they turn a nice golden brown. Once they crisp up, remove them from your pan. Feel free to dump them directly onto your plate because these are the base of your breakfast nachos.
Now that you’ve got your crispy chips, it’s time to make the toppings. Whisk together egg whites, egg, cottage cheese, the remaining amount of your salt, and a pinch of pepper. Turn your pan down to medium heat and spray it again with a light mist of olive oil.
Add your egg mixture and gently cook for 5-7 minutes until set. Add your Laughing Cow cheese wedge after a couple minutes of cooking your eggs, giving enough time to get it all melted and mixed in well. Sprinkle with any additional salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Top your plate of chips with your egg mixture, diced tomatoes, red onion, avocado, sour cream, and fresh cilantro. You can serve this with shredded lettuce for more of a taco salad experience, and any other additional toppings, too. Enjoy!
What You Need for Your Breakfast Nachos
- Cut Da Carb Wrap
- Oil spray
- Kosher salt
- Egg whites
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Pepper Jack Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- Tomato, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Avocado diced
- Fat-free sour cream or greek yogurt
If you want more ideas on how to elevate your morning, try these breakfast recipes. Some of them have similar ingredients as the breakfast nachos, so if you have ingredients leftover, here’s the perfect way to use them again.
- Creamy Cilantro Breakfast Taquitos
- Egg White Veggie Breakfast Bake
- Yogurt and Cottage Cheese Breakfast Bowl
Let me know on Instagram @lillieeatsandtells how you liked my breakfast recipes and follow me for more tips on how to eat macro-friendly!Print
Quick and Easy Breakfast Nachos
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 1 Cut Da Carb Wrap
- 3 g oil spray (2 sprays)
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 6 Tbsp egg whites (100 g)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup low-fat cottage cheese (60 g)
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 pepper jack Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- 2 Tbsp tomato, diced (30 g)
- 1 Tbsp red onion, diced (10 g)
- 2 Tbsp avocado diced (20 g)
- 1.5 Tbsp fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt (20 g)
- Turn the pan to high heat, spray with a light mist of olive oil spray. Holding your wrap so the length runs left to right, rip the Cut Da Carb wrap into strips, (if it doesn’t rip into straight lines, turn it the other way!) Then stack them on top of each other, and using kitchen scissors, right over the pan, cut the strips into triangles and let them drop into the hot pan. Immediately spray with another mist of olive oil spray, this should equal about 3 grams of oil. Sprinkle with at least ½ tsp kosher salt. Maybe more to taste.
- Toss the chips around right away to avoid letting them stick to each other. Let them cook in the pan, tossing often, for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan.
- Whisk together egg whites, egg, cottage cheese, remaining 1 tsp salt and pinch of pepper. Turn your pan back on to medium heat and spray with a light mist of cooking spray. Add eggs and cook gently for 5-7 minutes until set, adding laughing cow cheese half way through to get it all melted in and combined well. Sprinkle with any additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Top plate of chips with crumbled egg mixture, diced tomatoes, red onion, avocado, sour cream, and fresh cilantro. Serve with shredded lettuce for more of a taco salad experience!
To track: Search My Fitness Pal for “Lillie Eats and Tells Quick and Easy Breakfast Nachos”
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 370
- Fat: 14.1
- Carbohydrates: 25.6
- Fiber: 6.9
- Protein: 30.2
Keywords: breakfast, nachos, eggs, low-calorie, macro-friendly