Just got back in town from a trip to Virginia for our spring break. We left 70’s and 80’s for 30’s and 40’s… but it was worth it! Sometimes I feel like I know less than my kids when it comes to history since they’re currently learning and since my brain is getting progressively mushier and mommier. So all of the culture and hands on learning about American History in DC, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown… was good for all of us!
But it was a trip so per usual, it was tricker to track my macros and stay spot on. It’s life. It’s fine. But I’m happy to be back in the ZONE.
I’ve been meaning to blog these creamy cilantro breakfast taquitos since I first got these Cut Da Carb wraps and was SO EXCITED to share on instagram. But holy cow when did days and weeks and months and years get so SHORT???? I must be getting old.
So here they are finally. So simple and mostly just an idea since you can fill them with whatever you love. Whatever you think is good in eggs or in taquitos will be great! Just don’t go crazy with broccoli like I did once so that the veggies seriously outweigh the egg whites and it won’t hold together. Little bits of broccoli eggs in your lap on the way to the gym are annoying. And it just sounds gross right? Broccoli eggs? Lesson learned.
I usually lean toward ALL the veggies when it comes to toppings on my burgers, sammies, tacos, salads, rice bowls… WHATEVER. I love all the colors and crunch almost all of the time. But after my broccoli eggs fail, I decided to keep these ones a little simpler and just did mushrooms… along with some green onions and cilantro for fresh flavor.. and diced turkey sausage… because duh. Ham or canadian bacon would also be good for a little less fat if you like to keep things EVEN lower than me in the morning.
And these wraps??? Ok so I really am obsessed. I never want people thinking they have to buy tons of specialty items to have success. You absolutely don’t! But if I try something new that really does make sticking to my macros AND loving my food easier… it’s usually worth it to me. And these are for me. The Joseph’s lavash wraps are super great too and when they’re available at Walmart you’ve got to stock up…. but I hate how they burn thru my protein so right now I can’t get enough of these new BABIES with magic macros. 14c/ 0.5f/ 4p and 80 calories. It’s practically a lettuce wrap! Ha.
Creamy Cilantro Breakfast Taquitos
- 2 Cut Da Carb wraps Joseph’s Lavash would work great too… or any wrap or tortilla, but nothing beats these macros!
- 2 tbs 22 grams greek yogurt cream cheese
- 2 tbs chopped green onions
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 180 g liquid egg whites or sub approximately every 50 grams of whites for another whole egg if you don’t mind the extra fat.
- 2/3 cups 50 grams diced mushrooms
- 2 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links chopped we keep these stocked from Costco- I like the links better than the crumbles.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Light Cilantro Lime Ranch for dipping
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave and stir in green onions, cilantro, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk together whole egg, egg whites, diced mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Scramble over medium low heat just till set.
- Stir in cream cheese mixture. (Now if you want them to be perfect, weigh mixture and divide that number by six taquitos to know how much mixture to put in each.)
- Cut the wraps into fourths. Place a line of eggs down the length of each rectangle and roll (long ways.) Place on parchment lined baking sheet, seam down. (I tried foil and they stuck and got ruined. Maybe with plenty of cooking spray? But parchment is best!)
- Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 425 for about 8-12 minutes or until the edges are brown to your liking.
- Serve with any taquito toppings you like, but especially this light cilantro lime ranch!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and reheated in the oven, on a skillet, or in the TOASTER. Of course if you feel like your eggs will fall out it’s not a good idea…but mine worked great! I’d throw a couple in and have crispy breakfast taquitos in a couple of minutes. The cliantro lime ranch is a MUST.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!