It’s no secret that I love a big salad. Chopped salad. Chicken salad. Tuna Salad. Arugula, kale, crunch romaine, half a head of iceberg. Kept simple and light, or decked out with all the cheese, fruit, and nuts. I don’t see salad as a punishment. I see it as a giant bowl of food that keeps on giving!
Using seasonal ingredients makes any salad my new favorite. Haha. And this freshly charred corn and peach salad was no exception. It’s fresh and summer-y, but you can switch in other fruits when peaches are out of season, and you want to keep the summer vibes going.
What You’ll Need for a Charred Corn and Peach Salad:
- Ears of corn
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- A small peach, diced (mango and pineapple work great too!)
- Jalapeño, diced
- Green onions, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Radishes, chopped
- Red wine vinegar (or a fruit-infused clear balsamic is delicious!)
- A lime, juiced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Corn and Peach Salad:
You guys, peaches are EVERYTHING to me when they’re finally in season. But when they’re gone, they’re gone. *insert tears here. Luckily our family likes to grill all year long, so we’ll still enjoy sides like this even when it isn’t technically Summer anymore. We use this same recipe and just swap in the fruit we can find like mango or pineapple.
It’s hard to pick a favorite part of this salad because yes I LOVE peaches, I also love a good charred ear of corn. To prep your corn for the salsa, you can grill your corn using your favorite method. OR, if you are anything like me, I like to cheat and simply char the outside of my corn over the open flame of my stove. Carefully, of course. I always use metal tongs.
If you prefer your corn to be more tender, just cook it first before charring it. My preferred method to cook corn is to use the microwave. I wrap each ear of corn in a paper towel and microwave it for four minutes. After the ear of corn is cooked, use your metal tongs to char it over the open flame of your stove.
Time to chop:
Now that the corn is prepped, set it aside to cool while you get everything else ready. Grab your cherry tomatoes, small peach (or mango and pineapple if peaches are out of season), jalapeño, green onions, cilantro, and radishes. It’s time to get chopping! Personally, I love chopping by hand when I am using my Nakano knives and large end grain cutting board block. But, if you don’t love chopping by hand, or you are in a hurry, try the alligator chopper. I love using my alligator chopper on weeknights when I need to speed things up a bit. (Or especially when making pico!)
Once everything is chopped, slice your corn off the cob, and add all ingredients to a large bowl. Season your salad with lime juice, red wine vinegar (or a fruit-infused clear balsamic is also delicious!), olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. I use a clear balsamic vinegar I find at Trader Joe’s called “White Modena”, but any vinegar that you like the taste of will work! For something special, I love using fresh, fruity vinegar from Baker and Olive. The lemon or peach white balsamic would be amazing with this charred corn and peach salad.
Now that your salad is seasoned, toss, and enjoy!
Enjoy your freshly charred corn and peach salsa piled on top of any grilled protein, simply tossed into greens, or as a dip to enjoy with chips! This makes a perfect summer side! (Or anytime side if you grill year long like me.) Below I’ve got it served along some air-fried, blackened mahi mahi. DELISH.
Freshly Charred Corn and Peach Salad
Disclaimer: the grams I’ve listed manually after each ingredient are accurate for a single recipe, but they will not multiply if you choose the 2x or 3x option. Please make sure and multiply on your own!
- 2 ears of corn (291g after sliced off)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (90 g)
- 1 small peach, diced (mango and pineapple work great too!) (130 g)
- 1 jalapeño, diced (25 g)
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped (20 g)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (25 g)
- 3-4 radishes, chopped (35 g)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or a fruit-infused clear balsamic is delicious!)
- 1 lime, juiced (15 g)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (7 g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- You can grill your corn using your favorite method. OR I like to cheat and simply char the outside of my corn over the open flame of my stove (carefully, with metal tongs.) If you want your corn more tender, cook it first. My preferred method is to microwave in the husk (or wrapped in a paper towel for four minutes. After it’s cooked, use your metal tongs to char it over the open flame of your stove.
- Set the corn aside to cool while you get everything else chopped.
- Slice your corn off the cob and add all ingredients to a large bowl.
- Toss well and season to taste! Enjoy piled on top of any grilled protein, or simply tossed into greens, or as a dip with chips! This makes a perfect summer side.