So here they are. The closest I’ve gotten yet to the illusive chilaquiles. The ones I’ve never had and dream about from a restaurant three years ago. And while I’m well aware they probably hardly resemble the REAL DEAL from a good Mexican join with a homemade sauce and um— FAT— I mean…. look at them… you can’t go WRONG! Chips, enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, a runny egg…. all for totally decent, even LIGHT macros. And all in a handful of minutes. And did I mention the runny egg? I’m in.
Plus when you’re not going for authentic, you get to take all sorts of short cuts which means you’ll actually MAKE them. Because they take like five minutes. Ok that’s kind of a lie because I forgot to factor in the extra five minutes to bake your chips first. But I already made that fancy long pin for pinterest with the name so I’m just going with five minutes… let’s pretend you always keep homemade chips on hand mmkay?
Some of you will have had and LOVED chilaquiles and probably laugh at my macro-friendly quick-as-lightening version. And some of you will be like chilawhat. (Don’t worry I spelled it wrong when I first posted in on IG. So I’m sort of right there with you.)
If you’re of the latter group… I loved this chilaquiles manifesto with some thoughts from an expert! And a legit recipe if you’re feeling ambitious. Tell me how it is! I’m sure I’d love a green sauce too….
But since it’s no secret because I have to spill it below, all I used here is the Trader Joe’s bottled red enchilada sauce which I LOVE. (And use on these creamy skinny enchiladas). And it sure makes life easier. Less time in the kitchen, AND less time figuring out the macros. Sometimes that’s GOLDEN. Well all the times. But lots of times I choose to experiment and blow up my kitchen and get chili powder all over my phone– for fun.
5 Minute Skinny Chilaquiles
- 3 extra thin mission corn tortillas
- 60-80 grams Trader Joes Bottled Red Enchilada Sauce or your favorite sauce
- 50 g precooked chicken shredded I used leftover Instant Pot Smokey Honey Cilantro Chicken
- 1 runny fried egg
- 20 g avocado
- 7 g cotija
- Red onion
- Cilantro and/or green onion
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut tortillas into triangles or strips and lay out on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until brown on edges and crispy. You might want to flip half way through.
- Fry your egg and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat chicken for a minute, then add sauce and chips and toss around to coat them all.
- Top with fried egg, avocado, onions, cilantro, and cotija.
- Of course you could always add: beans, sour cream, next time I’ll add my favorite chipotle cream (don’t know how I didn’t!) And you can EASILY up the protein by piling on the chicken or adding an extra fried egg white!
- To track, search My Fitness Pal for “Lillie Eats and Tells 5 minute skinny chilaquiles”.
- If you’d like to use my favorite Cut Da Carb wraps to make the chips instead, this will cut off 10 carbs, 1 fat, and add 1 protein. If you make it that way, search “Lillie Eats and Tells Cut Da Carb Chilaquiles”
- If you use something different and want to try and account for the difference, just know the three extra thin mission tortillas account for 120 cal, 24 carbs, 1.5 fat, and 3 protein.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!
Is this recipe in MFP?!
Can I do an egg scrambled instead of a fried runny egg? I’m not a big egg person and can only eat them scrambled