(I copied this in from my original insta post because… still true!)
Creamy enchiladas! I almost feel like on macros, I’m making more forbidden food than ever. I think I like the challenge- it’s like this game to see how many meals can beat the macros of a salad… or a plate of three boring divided food groups that look like a Jenny Craig sensible dinner.
I’m always skeptical when I see one dish meals like this, like what does MY portion look like. I’m sure it’s not enough. I don’t want two enchiladas.. what will I do after those 45 seconds of eating are over?
This is where the learning curve has settled down for me and I have a much better idea than I used to of what it takes to feel totally satisfied with my dinner. Like I want it to last long enough and I almost want to feel too full. Just to be sure I can make it till dessert. (I know I’m gross.) But my will power diminishes as the day progresses so I like to plan for some good stuff at night. But that doesn’t mean I want to save all my macros for it. Such a puzzle…
Anyway these enchiladas were amazing! and went on forever. I didn’t even notice the heaps of missing cheese. Full blown comforty cheesy saucy enchiladas. And that whole cute dish there stuffed with four (plus a super simple crunchy Mexican salad) was mine. Also threw a bunch in a family dish for the kids and added more cheese in theirs … this just made it extra easy to measure mine (and show my portion). But I could have easily eaten from the family dish since I measure the mixture that goes in each tortilla. Then you can just divide the toppings amongst the number of enchiladas…
The chicken mixture is adapted from Our Best Bites creamy chicken taquitos… an old staple over here! I’ve seen a bunch of recipes since… but I’m pretty sure these girls invented the baked taquito and it’s GENIUS! I love everything they do. And full disclosure I always do green sauce on enchiladas but was out, so I tried this bottled red from TJ and my whole family LOVED IT. It’ll be a regular purchase now for these. Super good.
The macros for this whole dish of four enchiladas WITH the toppings was 47c 15f 46p and 511 calories.Print
Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
For the single serving of taquitos
- 4 extra thin mission corn tortillas
- Lightened up Our Best Bites Creamy Chicken taquito filling *(see below)
- ¼ cup Trader Joes Bottled Red Enchilada sauce
- Trader Joes lite shredded Mexican cheese blend (21 g)
- Avocado (25 g)
- Fat free sour cream (20 g)
- Pico (30 g) – I always make a quick homemade similar to this Best Bites one, because I think a fresh homemade pico makes EVERYTHING better, but you can buy too!
- Cotija (5 g)
For the Filling (this makes lots to use for the family and even freeze for later! You can freeze taquitos or filling alone.)
- ½-2/3 cup fat-free cream cheese (I did 139 g, it’s what I had in my fridge. Next time I’ll use the greek yogurt cream cheese because it’s still super low but SO good.)
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- ¼ cup green onions
- About 2 pounds or 4 cups of shredded chicken (880 g) (This instant pot chicken would be so good and could probably just mix with cream cheese and be good to go!)
- Microwave your cream cheese for about 20-30 seconds ‘till it’s soft.
- Mix in salsa, lime juice, and all the dry seasonings.
- Stir in cilantro and green onion, then the chicken. (I do this in my kitchenaid so it tears my chicken apart for me.
- Warm your corn tortillas in an open ziplock for like 20-30 seconds so they’re flexible
- **Put a couple of tbs (I did about 35 grams) of chicken in each tortilla and roll. I added some canned green chilies in mine at this point that I didn’t think my kids would want.
- Place in dish (I bought these darling mini dishes so I could make mine and Ross’s perfect for us but a big dish works too! Just make them all the same so you know how many you can have.)
- Cover with sauce and shredded cheese
- Bake at 425 until cheese is melty, about 10-15 minutes
- Top with sour cream, pico, avocado, and cotija (if you’re not already buying cotija I swear it brings every mexican dish to life and a little goes so far!)
** Tips: I always put my whole big dish on the scale and work on that, so I can put one tortilla in, zero out, add chicken to 35 g, zero out, and do it again and again. So I’m not measuring chicken and putting it in bowls or anything.
Once you input your recipe in MFP, you can add your chicken mixture to your diary and decide how much you want/need to hit your goals, obviously put as much or as little as you like. Add some cheese at this point if you have fat to spare! Pepperjack is so good in the original recipe.
The only thing that could use a legit “recipe” in your fitness app is the chicken mixture. But if you don’t want to mess with that. The only things you really need to figure out your portion are the chicken, cream cheese, and salsa… so you could do a basic divide amongst the enchiladas and log each item individually if that’s easier for you.
- Serving Size: 4 Enchiladas
- Calories: 511
- Fat: 15.4
- Carbohydrates: 47.6
- Protein: 46.1