A wedge salad is so simple to throw together, and yet since I associate it with fancy steak houses, it always feels so fancy! This wedge salad with creamy blue cheese dressing is seriously one of our favorites. So simple, tasty, crisp, and of course, macro friendly. Perfect as a side to our grilled Sunday meats…. or I love to make it a meal with some grilled chicken on top all week long!
The creamy blue cheese dressing is a quick one-bowl whisk, and it ends up so nice and thick and creamy. It’s definitely best the first day, but that doesn’t stop me from eating it all week on everything. If you’re lucky you might just have everything you need for this dressing already on hand. Most of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen.
For the salad, you’ll of course need a crisp wedge of fresh iceberg lettuce if you want to keep it classic. But we always have romaine on hand so we love to split the mini heads of romaine in half and use that! Besides that, you just need your cherry tomatoes, bacon, red onion, and some radishes if you’ve got them on hand. Top it all with a balsamic glaze drizzle and it’s perfection.
What You’ll Need for your macro-friendly Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
For the salad:
- Half a head of romaine or a wedge of iceberg (150 g)
- Cherry tomatoes, halved (50 g)
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled (9 g)
- Red onion, diced small (20 g)
- Radishes, sliced thinly (optional 20 g)
- Reduced-fat blue cheese (7 g)
- Creamy blue cheese dressing (60 g) *recipe below
- Balsamic glaze (7 g)
For the creamy blue cheese dressing:
- Reduced-fat blue cheese (60 g)
- Non fat Greek yogurt (120 g)
- Light mayonnaise (60 g)*
- Non fat milk (45 g)
- Red wine vinegar (45 g)
- Lemon juice (7 g)
- Parsley (fresh), minced (5 g) — or sub 1 tsp dried parsley
- Chives (fresh), minced (5 g) — or sub 1 tsp dried chives
- Dill (fresh), minced (3 g)– or sub ½ tsp dried dill
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or fork. I like to smash the blue cheese a little with my fork before adding the rest. This dressing gets really ugly before it gets pretty. Ha! Just hang in there. It’s worth it.
Go ahead and pop it in the fridge until you’re ready to use. It starts out nice and thick, so feel free to thin it out a littler with more vinegar or milk if you prefer. But without much fat in there, it tends to get a little watery the next day. (which is why it’s best day one!)
Assembling the salad is super simple. Chop your iceberg into four wedges or chop mini heads of romaine in half. You can then top each half with your cherry tomatoes, crumbled bacon, red onion, radishes, and a bit more blue cheese! Give that beauty a drizzle of your dressing and a finish of balsamic glaze.
We love the presentation of the wedge, but of course you can serve it chopped if you prefer! We love to serve on a large bread board as wedges and everyone chops it up on their own plate. Add more dressing if desired and enjoy!
I definitely recommend serving this salad alongside your favorite grilled chicken or steak, or maybe even some roasted potatoes on the side to make it a meal! Here are a few of my favorite additions to bring everything together,
Do you love a good salad as much as I do? Check out a few more that I love, your taste buds will thank you for later! (and your macros)
I briefly mentioned this at the beginning of this post, but the community over on my Instagram account is pretty amazing! Are you there with us? Give me a follow for more recipe tips, macro friendly favorites, and many many crunch wraps. (my all time favorite! . . . seriously I wrote a cookbook about them!)
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
For the Salad:
- Half a head of romaine or a wedge of iceberg 150 g
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes halved (50 g)
- 1 piece of bacon cooked and crumbled (9 g)
- 2 tbsp red onion diced small (20 g)
- 2 tbsp radishes sliced thinly (optional 20 g)
- 1 Tbsp reduced fat blue cheese 7 g
- 4 Tbsp creamy blue cheese dressing 60 g *recipe below
- ½ tbsp balsamic glaze (Trader Joe's or other grocers near vinegar) 7 g
For the Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing:
- ½ cup reduced-fat blue cheese 60 g
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt 120 g
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise 60 g*
- 3 Tbsp non fat milk 45 g
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar 45 g
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice 7 g
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley minced (5 g) — or sub 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives minced (5 g) — or sub 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill minced (3 g)– or sub ½ tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or fork. Pop in the fridge until you’re ready to use. It starts out nice and thick, so feel free to thin it out a littler with more vinegar or milk if you prefer. But without much fat in there, it tends to get a little watery the next day. This dressing is best the first day.
- For the salad, chop your iceberg into four wedges or chop mini heads of romaine in half. Top each wedge or half with the quantities of toppings as listed above: cherry tomatoes, crumbled bacon, red onion, radishes, and blue cheese. Drizzle with dressing and finish with balsamic glaze.
- Serve with grilled chicken or steak, and maybe some roasted potatoes on the side to make it a meal!