I could eat tacos every day of my life. But sometimes it feels like the grown-up thing to do is mix it up! So I love to make other things INTO tacos. Ha. These quick taco spaghetti squash boats are a a great way to get all the taco flavors, in a more veggie-packed, high volume meal.
First things first. This recipe serves 2. If you want more servings than that, you’ll need more spaghetti squashes than I call for in the recipe. However many servings you need, you will love how easy this recipe is to make! These quick taco spaghetti squash boats use leftover turkey taco meat (recipe here) which makes this come together super quickly. It’s a great meal to have on your list for busy weeknights when you’re running to ALL the kids’ activities.
Grab your spaghetti squash and poke it with a knife several times. This allows the steam to escape when you’re microwaving it. I like to microwave mine whole for 5 minutes before roasting it in the oven to finish cooking it. Microwaving it gives you a little head start on the roasting step, and helps you win the wrestling match that is cutting-it-in-half. But you can also skip this step, and simply roast the whole time.
To roast your spaghetti squash, cut off the stem end and then cut the squash in half lengthwise. Place both halves on a parchment lined baking sheet, spray with a mist of olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Flip them face down and roast for 20-25 min at 375°. If you skip the microwaving step, just add 15-20 minutes to your cooking time. Don’t turn off the oven when your squash is done, you’ll need it later.
Once your squash are tender, take them out of the oven and flip them over to let the steam escape and stop them from continuing to cook. Using a fork, fluff and pull the squash into strands inside the skin. If you really want to save time with this meal, cook your squash ahead of time and just warm up the halves quickly in the microwave.
While your squash boats are cooling a bit, halve your cherry tomatoes Split your taco spaghetti squash boat toppings between the two halves of squash. I use 100 grams of taco meat, 3tbsp salsa, 2tsp cotija cheese, and 40 grams of cherry tomatoes on each half.
Add a little more salt and pepper to your taco boats and throw them back in the oven at 375° for 10 minutes to warm everything up and melt the cheese.
Once they are done, put each half on a plate and drizzle with some lightened up chipotle lime ranch. I love to finish mine off with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro. If your macros allow it, add more cotija cheese! More is more.
These quick taco spaghetti squash boats are so fast and easy. With all of the veggies, you’ll feel nice and full without feeling heavy. And since you are eating out of the spaghetti squash itself, you don’t have to worry about lots of mess to clean up! Win. Win. Be sure to tag me on Instagram @lillieeatsandtells if you make these! I love seeing what you are cooking up.
Quick Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 whole spaghetti squash 650 g raw and seeded
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked ground turkey taco meat 200 g cooked (recipe here)
- 6 Tbsp salsa verde or favorite salsa 90 g
- 4 tsp cotija cheese 20 g
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved (80 g)
- 2 Tbsp lightened up cilantro lime ranch* 30 g
- ¼ of an avocado chopped (28 g)
- Poke the spaghetti squash several times with a knife and microwave whole for 5 minutes. You can skip this step and roast longer, but I like to make the cutting easier, and speed up the roasting process.
- Cut off the tougher end with the stem, and then cut the squash in half lengthwise. (You can also cut across the shorter axis if you prefer longer noodles.) Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, spray with a mist of oil spray and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Flip them face down and roast for 20-25 minutes at 375. If you skip the microwave, roast for about 45 minutes until slightly tender.
- Flip them over right after you pull them out so they don’t continue to steam. Using a fork, fluff and pull the squash into strands. You can also cook your squash ahead and use leftovers!
- Split your toppings amongst the two halves. Top each with 100 grams of taco meat, 3 Tbsp salsa, 2 tsp cotija cheese, and 40 grams of cherry tomatoes. Add a little more salt and pepper and bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle each half with 1Tbsp lightened up cilantro lime ranch, and finish with avocado and fresh cilantro. Add a little more optional cotija if you like!
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!