Is anyone down for some low-fat Banh Mi hot dogs for lunch? I’m in. Cover some meat, any meat, with pickled carrots, crisp radishes, cucumbers, jalapeños… a bunch of fresh cilantro, and creamy sriracha mayo, and I’m always in. Especially when the macros are 39C 6F 18P for two. Seriously. This is one macro-friendly recipe.
Hot dogs used to be one of those foods I was embarrassed to like. Maybe I still should be. But do you see how trendy I am with the toppings for this recipe? Doesn’t that make up for it? Anyway, these low-fat hot dogs are the fastest, easiest thing for a night when you have no time to cook and no leftover protein to work with.
Nonetheless, you can still make a quick stop through the streets of Saigon. In Vietnamese culture, banh mi refers to a thin, crisp baguette that is split open and filled with ingredients like a submarine sandwich. Think steaming roasted pork and pickled carrots and cucumbers. We’re going to keep things simple, as I’ll willing to bet you often have some hot dogs ready that you can quickly defrost. Consider this a seriously easy macro meal. You can throw ketchup on the kids’ and make yours all grown-up and cultured. Everybody will be happy. Plus, you get to eat two Banh Mi hot dogs and feel like you’re breaking some rules, all while eating the macros of a salad. A LOW-FAT salad. If you’re watching your macro percentages for weight loss, this could be a go-to recipe for you.
Oh, and if you trim the edges of your bun, you can weigh it and shave off those carbs you saved, while creating the perfect surface for spraying and pan toasting. WIN WIN.
Low Fat Banh Mi Hot Dogs
- 2 Hebrew National 97% fat free Hot Dogs or favorite sausage
- 2 Hot Dog buns
- 2 Tbsp. Quick Pickled carrots and daikon pickling is optional* (30g)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (5-10g)
- 1 Jalapeno, diced (25g)
- 2 Radishes, sliced thin (25g)
- 1 mini persian cucumber, sliced thin (40g)
- 1 Tbsp. low fat mayo (15g)
- 1 tsp sriracha (6g)
- Chop your veggies thin. I like my carrots and daikon julienned. (Or shredded carrots work!)
- Butterfly your hot dogs and fry in a hot pan till browned and crispy on the edges. Toast your buns in the same pan, or in the broiler.
- Mix the mayo and sriracha for your spicy mayo
- Put dogs in buns, top with all the veggies and a drizzle of sriracha mayo.