It’s 1 am and we take off in six and a half hours for the airport where we’ll fly across the country for Spring Break! We’ll spend a couple of days in DC and then the week in Colonial Williamsburg with family. So excited! For the trip… but also because once we’re gone that means I’m done packing and spinning circles in my house trying to figure out what to do next. I DESPISE packing and prepping for a trip. I’m the worst at it. Something is legitimately wrong with me because no matter how many hours I have, I’ll need five more.
If only I could squeeze in these chocolate waffles in the morning before we go. Ha. You know I deserve it after tonight. Even if I did just finish a giant midnight Mighty Muffin sundae. No joke.
Ok but I wanted to get at least one more recipe over here on the blog before I go. And since this one took five minutes to make and was absolutely NOT from scratch… I figured it should only take a few minutes to write up! So chocolate waffles won.
If I’m being honest. I never do waffles. I love them, because what’s not to love. But I still just really see them as a super-carb-heavy meal and I really like to pair my carbs and proteins and veggies in the most voluminous ways– and the ways I know make me happy and satisfied! I always worry waffles will burn through too many carbs and not fill me up. But the second I dug into these I was like THIS IS GONNA BE A THING.
And the macros turned out TOTALLY doable. Not much over my yogurt, cottage cheese bowls, or even a protein bar. Maybe 10 more protein and carbs? Which is easy to make up elsewhere! And I love a good protein bar, but I mean look at these….Print
Dark Chocolate Protein Waffles
Um – dessert for breakfast – and yet it won’t set you up to fail for the day? YES.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
For the Waffles
- 30 g Lil Buff Red Velvet mix (I’m sure others would be good.. but red velvet is my favorite.)
- 27 g dark chocolate Kodiak cake mix
- 20 g pumpkin (good sub applesauce or greek yogurt)
- 20 g liquid egg whites
- 2–3 packets of stevia (about a tsp? Sometimes I just sprinkle some in there!)
- 1/3 cup water
For the Toppings
- A few spritz of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray (Or skip it if it terrifies you that I would own such a thing!)
- 60 g dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt (or your favorite of course)
- 20 g rasberries, finely chopped/mashed
- 6 tbs fat free whipped cream
- 4 g favorite granola (mine is Purely Elizabeth)
- Mix everything together for the waffles and cook in greased waffle iron.
- If they’re not crispy enough, I like to toast them after the waffle iron
- Spray with butter spray
- Top with yogurt, mashed raspberries, fat free whipped cream, granola, and Waldenfarms 0-calorie pancake syrup or Maple Walnut Syrup (for my macros), or your favorite sugar free syrup. This ranks right there with the butter spray… I feel like a dieting mom from the 80’s but it works! And I actually LOVE these syrups.
I know not everyone is going to have Lil Buff Cake mixes on hand… and may even have a hard time finding the dark chocolate kodiak cakes. I’m sorry this isn’t a from scratch recipe! But this time I used these two different mixes because I had them both on hand and it was delicious! So I had to share!
- Serving Size: 2 waffles
- Calories: 314
- Fat: 6.5
- Carbohydrates: 37.4
- Protein: 30.9