Have you been to Cava? The grain bowl I had there in the DC airport a few months ago had me wanting to turn around and hop a plane right back. I could NOT STOP DREAMING ABOUT IT. I still canNOT stop dreaming about it.
So if you’ve never heard of it. It’s like the Chipotle of Mediterranean food. You go through the line and pick whether you want a bowl atop grains or greens or both… or a pita. They’ve got a yummy brown rice, lentils, or a basmati rice… a variety of greens (obviously I choose arugula), the most delicious marinated chopped chicken, pork, or meatballs… all the yummy hummuses, tzatziki, the most finely diced heavenly greek salsas and feta and ALL THE PICKLED ONIONS and cabbage… there’s more. I’m sure there was more. But you get it. If you’re into Mediterranean flavors… and you’re into amazing. You’re into this. SO GOOD.
So obviously I’ve been determined to recreate it at home ever since. And once we got hooked on these Greek marinated chicken skewers— I knew it was time! I just needed to throw together a couple of other things like:
- My favorite Greek salsa from this Greek pita recipe. Anytime I’m feeling Greek, I whip it up…. I’ll think for a second of being lazy and just chopping some cucumber and tomato and onion to throw in the meal… but the few extra minutes for this salsa is ALWAYS WORTH IT. Once I’m tossing a giant bowl, I’m so glad I took the time to chop small and add a few more ingredients. It just makes everything else SO MUCH BETTER. And don’t skip the mint. The mint is KEY! I swear even if you think you might not love mint… I dare you.
- The quickest easiest pickled onions that you should just keep in your fridge from here on out. I put them on EVERYTHING.
- Some pickled cabbage by just throwing some in with your onions!
- This super light and easy Tzatziki- also wrapped up in the Greek Pork Pita post– or Trader Joes has a good one.
- And then just some brown rice, arugula, feta, hummus, and more herbs– ALWAYS MORE HERBS.
Squeeze plenty of lemon over the top and dive in! It took me right back I tell you. All that was missing was their fried pita wedges which pretty much killed my macros the first time I went because I COULD NOT STOP so we’re gonna call it a win.
Copy Cat Cava Mediterranean Grain Bowl
I could eat this heavenly bowl every day! This is like a salad, do whatever amounts you like! But if you want to build the same bowl with the same macros, my amounts are below.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 1
- Category: Bowl
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1/2 cup brown rice (70 g)- I always use the frozen brown rice from Trader Joes
- 75 g arugula
- 100 g grilled Greek Chicken
- 100 Greek Salsa
- 30 g tzatziki
- 40 g hummus (I used Hope brand jalapeno cilantro- only 2.5 fat for 2 tbs so if you want the macros to match, try and find one similar!)
- 25 g pickled red onion
- 25 g pickled cabbage (After referencing the pickled onion recipe, just pour some of the same pickling juice over sliced purple cabbage for about an hour.)
- 14 g of fat free feta
- Extra mint
- Squeeze of lemon
- Toss brown rice and arugula in a large bowl.
- Top with leftover grilled Greek Chicken, Greek Salsa, tzatziki, hummus, pickled onion and cabbage.
- Add extra feta, mint, and a squeeze of lemon and close your eyes and dream that you’re at Cava.
- This is the perfect meal to make with your Greek leftovers. I love to make a big batch of the chicken, greek salsa, and tzatziki… and use it for pitas one night, and a bowl a night or two later. I’ve usually got pickled onions already in my fridge so it’s easy to pour some of the liquid over my cabbage and let it sit while I prep anything else.
- If you track your macros, and you want to simplify your life and log this as is, just follow the recipe and search My Fitness Pal for “Lillie Eats and Tells Copycat Cava Bowl”
- Serving Size: 1 bowl as described
- Calories: 478
- Fat: 13.3
- Saturated Fat: 1.8
- Carbohydrates: 45.7
- Protein: 46.7