This Copy Cat Mediterranean grain bowl is one of my all-time favorite things to eat. Have you been to Cava? The grain bowl I had there in the DC airport a few months ago had me wanting to turn around and hop a plane right back. I could NOT STOP DREAMING ABOUT IT. I still can NOT stop dreaming about it.
If you’ve never been, Cava is like the Chipotle of Mediterranean food. You go through the line and pick whether you want a bowl atop grains or greens, or both. Or you pile it all inside of pitas. They’ve got a yummy brown rice, lentils, or a basmati rice… a variety of greens (obviously I choose arugula), the most delicious marinated chopped chicken, pork, or meatballs… all the yummy hummus, tzatziki, the most finely diced heavenly greek salsas and feta and ALL THE PICKLED ONIONS and cabbage… there’s more. I’m sure there was more. But you get it. If you’re into Mediterranean flavors… and you’re into amazing. And maybe EVEN into healthy food, you’re into this Cava Mediterranean grain bowl. SO GOOD.
I’ve been determined to create a copy cat Cava bowl ever since. I just needed to throw together a couple of things.
What you’ll want for this Copy Cat Cava Mediterranean Grain Bowl
- These Greek marinated chicken skewers
- My favorite Greek salsa from this Greek pita recipe. Anytime I’m feeling Greek, I whip it up…. I’ll think for a second of being lazy and just chopping some cucumber and tomato and onion to throw in the meal… but the few extra minutes for this salsa is ALWAYS WORTH IT. Once I’m tossing a giant bowl, I’m so glad I took the time to chop small and add a few more ingredients. It just makes everything else SO MUCH BETTER. And don’t skip the mint. The mint is KEY! I swear even if you think you might not love mint… I dare you.
- The quickest easiest pickled onions that you should just keep in your fridge from here on out. I put them on EVERYTHING. You will not regret it. They take five minutes and improve all of the meals forever and ever!
- Some pickled cabbage by just throwing some sliced cabbage in the same liquid as your onions!
- This super light and easy Tzatziki- also wrapped up in the Greek Pork Pita post– or if you want to skip a step? Trader Joe’s has a great one! They’re classic or they’re avocado tzatziki are both SO good– with great macros.
- Some brown rice, arugula, feta, hummus, and more herbs– ALWAYS MORE HERBS.
Squeeze plenty of lemon over the top of your copy cat Cava Mediterranean grain bowl and dive in! It took me right back I tell you. All that was missing was their fried pita wedges which pretty much killed my macros the first time I went because I COULD NOT STOP so we’re gonna call it a win.
Copy Cat Cava Mediterranean Grain Bowl
I could eat this heavenly bowl every day! This is like a salad, do whatever amounts you like! But if you want to build the same bowl with the same macros, my amounts are below.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Bowl
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1/2 cup brown rice (70 g)- (I always use the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s)
- 75 g arugula (favorite bagged arugula is Trader Joe’s)
- 100 g grilled Greek Chicken
- 100 Greek Salsa
- 30 g tzatziki (or use Trader Joe’s tzatziki or avocado tzatziki!)
- 40 g hummus (I used Hope brand jalapeno cilantro- only 2.5 fat for 2 tbs so if you want the macros to match, try and find one similar! The Trader Joe’s eggplant hummus is great for only 2 fat.)
- 25 g easy pickled red onion
- 25 g quick pickled cabbage (After referencing the pickled onion recipe, just pour some of the same pickling juice over sliced purple cabbage for about an hour. Or however minutes you have! Even a litle helps.)
- 14 g of fat-free feta (Trader Joe’s sells one!)
- Extra mint
- Squeeze of lemon
- Toss brown rice and arugula in a large bowl.
- Top with leftover grilled Greek Chicken, Greek Salsa, tzatziki, hummus, pickled onion and cabbage.
- Add extra feta, mint, and a squeeze of lemon and close your eyes and dream that you’re at Cava.
- This is the perfect meal to make with your Greek leftovers. I love to make a big batch of the chicken, greek salsa, and tzatziki… and use it for pitas one night, and a bowl a night or two later. I’ve usually got pickled onions already in my fridge so it’s easy to pour some of the liquid over my cabbage and let it sit while I prep anything else.
- If you track your macros, and you want to simplify your life and log this as is, just follow the recipe and search My Fitness Pal for “Lillie Eats and Tells Copycat Cava Bowl”
- Serving Size: 1 bowl as described
- Calories: 478
- Fat: 13.3
- Saturated Fat: 1.8
- Carbohydrates: 45.7
- Protein: 46.7
Keywords: Greek, chicken, greek salsa, tzatziki, hummus, mediterranean, Cava, grain bowl, arugula, brown rice,