So I finally ran out of my Greek Pork and cucumber salsa for these greek pork pitas, but that didn’t mean I was ready to move on… so I pulled together what I had and built this bowl with all of the same amazing flavors! I can’t get enough. I’m sure when I prep my next batch of pork and cucumber salsa, I’ll use both on this and maybe just MAYBE… alternate between a bowl and pitas every night.
More likely I’ll eat the pitas every night. But I don’t want to get sick of them! And sometimes I mix it up just to mix it up. And sometimes taking a fork to a giant bowl for a good thirty minutes— is where it’s at.
Ok so have you ever made that super simple, ugly, but DELICIOUS lentil dip from the three Trader Joe’s ingredients? I had it from my sister years ago after she had it sampled at Traders… and it’s been a go-to for parties every since. Lentils, bruschetta, feta. Serve with pita chips. Looks like dog food, taste like heaven.
Anyway, I had all of the stuff on hand and decided to whip a little up and throw it in this bowl. SO good.
I definitely would have thrown the cucumber salsa from the greek pita recipe on it if I still had some but since I was out… just a normal smattering of the same suspects. All fresh and vibrant and minty and amazing. Not a bit like dog food.Print
Mediterranean Power Salad
When I get in the mood for these fresh mediterranean flavors… there’s nothing better in the world. So healthy and vibrant and HUGE. I like a salad as big as my lap thanks.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 3
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
For the Lentils
- 1/2 cup lentils (I get the steamed lentils from Trader Joes)
- 2 tbs pre-made bruschetta (I use the fresh from Trader Joes)
- 1 oz fat free feta (I get mine at Trader Joes. Excuse the broken record. Reduced fat or full fat will of course be great too!)
- Butter lettuce, chopped (100 grams) (For me the butter lettuce is KEY. So delicate and fresh and NEVER bitter.)
- Cucumbers, chopped (60 g)
- Cherry tomatoes, chopped (60 g)
- Red onion, diced (35 g)
- Bell pepper, diced (35 g)
- Pre-cooked chicken breast of your choice (I used rotisserie chicken breast.)
- Large pinch of chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) favorite hummus (This was Black Garlic by Hope for only 2 fat/serving. I’m always just looking for hummus with the lowest fat since they can vary a lot.)
- 2 tbs (30 g) Tzatziki (make your own if you’re an overachiever! I went lazy and used Trader Joes.)
- A lemon for squeezing
For the Lentils
- Combine lentils, bruschetta, and feta- add a squeeze of lemon because why not! This is a classic and delicious Trader Joes dip. So good with pita chips! But also good thrown in this salad! Full of so much flavor.
For the Salad
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add shredded chicken. Sprinkle with a good pinch of kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Let it brown for just a minute then give it a good stir/toss and remove from heat. Quick is key.
- Fill your bowl with chopped butter lettuce and start topping with all of your veggies, chicken, a dollop of hummus, a good HEAVY sprinkle of fresh mint.
- Drizzle with Tzatziki and squeeze liberally with fresh lemon. Make sure to salt and pepper, especially your tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Toss and enjoy! Even better with a pita on the side or some crushed pita chips tossed in like croutons!
*If you need more dressing, squeeze more lemon, or of course add more tzatziki… or Bolthouse cucumber ranch works great. (Although personally I prefer their regular ranch.) I find them at almost any normal grocery store in the refrigerated section.
- Serving Size: This huge bowl
- Calories: 458
- Fat: 9.6
- Saturated Fat: 1.6
- Carbohydrates: 41.9
- Protein: 48.6