This sweet summer corn and cucumber salad. I’M A FAN. I never thought I was particularly good about eating seasonally. Mostly just because I’m exceptionally good at eating whatever sounds good. But I’m finding (AHA!) those things tend to be one in the same! A little slow on the uptake.
But I CANNOT get enough sweet summer corn… and BASIL! Those two things in particular, I find myself wanting to add to just about every salad. Like this summer salad with pasta, or this summer chopped with rice and basil vinaigrette…. And I’m NOT getting sick of it. Sorry if you’ve noticed. And you are. Ha.
Anyway, this is the PERFECT side dish to me right now. Easy to throw together. A nice change from a big leafy salad… and BECAUSE it’s not a big leafy salad, it doesn’t require a fancy dressing to make it taste good. Corn? Cucumbers? Avocado? Tomato? When these things are quality, they’re all killer with nothing but a little salt and plenty of pepper. Add a hint of garlic and smokey cumin, onions, and some fresh squeezed lime… let it marry a little— and I couldn’t ask for more!
Feel free to chop your cucumbers into small chunks if you’ve got the big ones, I just love feeling all fancy with my mandolin and a bag of mini persians. I always get carried away and slice too many — so fun am I right? Always that risk of –will I get my finger?
Also, if you’re a macro-counter, I feel like a non-green salad distributes more evenly– which makes it easier to trust the macro break-down. So make this recipe as is, and search “Lillie Eats and Tells Sweet Summer Corn Salad” and log as many grams as you take! Feel free to pile it atop some greens and add some protein for a perfect summer dinner.Print
Sweet Summer Corn and Cucumber Salad
I love this salad as a side dish for any grilled meats… a nice change from our typical leafy green salad over here, so simple, and so yummy! Without the lettuce, it doesn’t need a fancy dressing to shine…just some lime juice and a few seasonings and it’s perfect.
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 3-5
- Category: Salad
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: Fresh
- 150 g cherry tomato, halved
- 300 g cucumber- (I like the larger English cucumbers chopped, or the mini cucumbers sliced on a mandolin.)
- 300 g corn sliced off the cob (grilled, boiled, microwaved, RAW… or frozen works too! I love to just microwave mine in the husk for 5 minutes.)
- 115 g avocado- (about 1 whole) chopped
- 50 g diced red onion (optional– I like it with or without)
- 2-4 tbs fresh chopped basil (LOVE this addition, but cilantro would also be good.)
- Juice from 1 lime
- sprinkle of garlic salt
- sprinkle of cumin
- Plenty of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Just toss everything together and serve alongside everything and ANYTHING off of your grill!
- I love to have a big bowl of simple arugula or mixed greens tossed in lemon juice that you can serve alongside or underneath this salad if you want greens, or just to really stretch it out!. But it’s especially yummy all by itself!
- If you’re not watching your fat, a good drizzle of olive oil would always be yummy.
- If you count your macros– make this recipe with my measurements and you can just search “Lillie Eats and Tells Sweet Summer Corn and Cucumber Salad” and log as many grams as you eat!
- Serving Size: 150 g
- Calories: 100
- Fat: 4.3
- Carbohydrates: 16.1
- Protein: 2.3
Keywords: corn, cucumber, cherry tomato, avocado, lime, basil, salad