It’s the 1st! Always a funny day since it’s a holiday… and yet my body is DYING to get back to it’s own normal food and schedule. So it’s back to the basics for me! Not that I threw in the towel this month. I really didn’t. I could write a whole post about how different this Christmas season was than last. And how amazing and free it felt this time. Still loving macros over here! But there were still just so many outlier moments and events and late nights for us.
So here’s a simple small meal to start me off strong without having to choke down a plate of plain egg whites or dry tuna. (I will never ever ever ever). A soft egg scramble, one egg and some extra whites, with some havarti, canadian bacon, avocado and microgreens. So simple but SO GOOD. Just a yummy reminder that January doesn’t have to bring boring food… and that even bagels can still fit just fine if they’re important to you!Print
Skinny Soft Scrambled Egg and Havarti Bagel
Maybe too simple to include a recipe…but I’m doing it anyway because sometimes the simplest snacks turn out the BEST.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: 1
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- About 1 TBS fat free milk (fairlife has lowest carbs I think!)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 slice of light havarti cheese
- Half of an “everything” bagel or your favorite!
- 1 slice of canadian bacon (got mine at Costco) or favorite ham (I love this black forest one from TJ with zero fat, looks like this.)
- 12 grams avocado
- Kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Whisk up egg, whites, milk, and salt. Scramble in a non-stick pan on medium heat just until starting to set then turn off so they don’t get dry! Dry eggs are gross. Push your eggs together so it sort of stays in one piece for your bagel.
- Top immediately with half a slice of light Havarti.. (I got mine from Trader Joes) and cover till melted.
- Split your favorite bagel in half, these Sam’s Choice Everything Bagels (I found at Walmart) are just the right size… not mini or “thin” but still only 39 carbs for a whole instead of over 50 like some. (Sarah Lee toaster size plain are only 34.) I used half and hollowed it out a bit so it was only 33 of the 85 grams in a whole serving. So I logged 33/85.. or .38 of a bagel… which comes to 14.8 carbs. Less than a piece of Ezekial toast or a lot of low-carb breads…. but without the cardboard flavor. And texture. And look. Good for you if you prefer sprouted breads. You’ll live longer than me for sure.
- Toast your bagel and top with one piece of canadian bacon—use ham or bacon or whatever fits your macros AND makes your carnivorous side happy. Rarr. Then top with cheesy scrambled eggs, a little avocado, s/p and maybe some red pepper flakes … and obviously microgreens or something to make it pretty because pretty food tastes better duh.
A perfect snack to satisfy your bagel-love without wiping out your macros. And sometimes there’s NOTHING better than an egg and toast combo…
- Serving Size: 1 open faced egg bagel
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 25.7