“Proats! I loved them! Last time I posted an oatmeal, I mentioned how I never add sneaky protein since I like meat too much to need it. BUT a trusted friend commented on how she loves egg whites stirred in, mainly since it just adds a bunch of volume for nothing BUT a bit of protein. And I can get behind that. BIGGER FOOD is always something I can get behind.” ((Copied in from my original instagram post))
Macros = 28c/6f/14p and 225 calories for this bowl of nostalgia. Not far off a protein bar but so much better for the soul. I shot this in that magical window of times where fresh figs are popping up everywhere… I think they’re like one of those most beautiful food accessories. Like a great pair of earrings for this bowl. But any yummy seasonal fruit will do.
I was skeptical and worried the idea of the egg whites alone would gross me out so I couldn’t enjoy them. But I couldn’t detect them at all. It just blended with the oats and made the whole thing last longer which is ALWAYS A GOOD THING.
Protein Oatmeal: “Proats”
Don’t be afraid of the egg whites… it’s all about adding volume for so little macros! Because warm comforting bowls of oatmeal want to be BIG. Top these “proats” with whatever you love! But what I did is below with the amounts in parentheses.
- Total Time: 5 min
- 1 packet of Better Oats maple brown sugar oatmeal*
- 80 g egg whites
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Califia is my favorite but I was out so I used Full Circle brand.)
- Blueberries (20 g)
- Strawberries (15 g)
- Blackberries (15 g)
- Figs (15 g)
- Peanut butter (6 g)
- Walden Farms pancake syrup (I get it at Sprouts or Stater Brothers)
- (After the photos I ended up adding a dash of cinnamon which I loved)
*I love the better oats because the carbs are so low and they’re yummy… but of course you can use normal oats and sweeten it as you like.
- Add a few more tablespoons of water than it calls for and microwave oats for 90 seconds
- Stir in egg whites and microwave for another 40 seconds
- Stir and repeat two or three more times to make sure whites are cooked through. Add more water if it seems too thick. Consistency was more like cream of wheat to me which I’ve missed! Totally a thing of my childhood.
- Top with almond milk, fruit, nut butter, a good drizzle of Walden Farms calorie free pancake syrup (or honey or real syrup if mystery-0-cal-food makes you nervous.) and a sprinkle of cinnamon!
- But before you eat it, look at it because fruit topped bowls are such a thing of beauty. Seriously I’m in love.
- Serving Size: This bowl
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 5.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.4
- Carbohydrates: 28.2
- Protein: 15.1