I keep wondering when it’s gonna get old (or how long ago I crossed that line) that I use chipotle cream and lightened up cilantro lime ranch as often as I do. But it’s just not broken guys. It’s so not broken. And it makes foods that SHOULD be broken (like spaghetti squash) seem like rich yummy, warm, comfort food almost. Mexican comfort food? Mexican, HEALTHY, comfort food.
All of those words just don’t feel like they should be smashed together but that’s exactly the beauty of this.
(33c/9f/38p and just around 350 carbs for both of these boats. And how cute are they.)
The other beauty? The fact that it took me like ten minutes to throw together— since of course I stock the dressing and the chipotle cream (how else would I eat them on 80 percent of my meals?) and my staple bulk chicken…. and I usually have some leftover pico lying around from a taco night or two…. Ok fine I had a leg up. Maybe it takes you thirty… or maybe you use your favorite bottled dressing and some simple light sour cream.
But I hope you don’t.
This is a total go-to kind of meal for me when I need the carbs to be lower than usual. I love that I can build it to fit almost any macros I’ve got available… and yet still fill my belly. Volume food for sure. Anything where I get TWO instead of one is always good. Ha.
But you get it. Overall, it’s really no harder than throwing together a salad, except that while you chop a few things, your squash is in the microwave for five minutes. And now if you’re NOT in the mood for salad, you’ve got TWO warm, savory, healthy Mexican, comfort-food bowls (I thought I’d see if it was more believable with even more words smashed together this time) …..for salad-macros.
Mexican Spaghetti Squash Boats with Skinny Cilantro Lime Ranch
Just a super quick and super healthy meal that can be thrown together in minutes if you’ve got a few things already whipped up in your fridge!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Low Carb
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 whole small spaghetti squash (once I subtracted the skin it was 320 g cooked squash)
- 100 grams cooked chicken (I used my staple grilled chicken recipe)
- 50 gram pico de gallo
- 30 grams avocado
- 20 g light cilantro lime ranch
- 30 g skinny chipotle cream
- 7 g cotija cheese (this is such a game changer to me with Mexican food.. a little goes so far and adds so much flavor.)
- Cook spaghetti squash however you like. I love to roast it cut side down like Martha, but for this quick meal I just microwaved it! Poke it a few times and put the whole thing in for 5-8 minutes or until it’s tender and you can squeeze it.
- Cut in half, carefully spoon out the seedy center trying not to waste a bunch of the squash.
- Now use a fork to pull apart the squash from the skin and form the strings- leaving it in the skin.
- Top with chicken, avocado, and pico. Drizzle with dressing and chipotle cream and a sprinkle of cotija. Finish with salt and pepper and some extra cilantro!
- Serving Size: 1whole squash and toppings
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 9.2
- Saturated Fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 33.2
- Protein: 38.4
Keywords: spaghetti squash, boat, mexican, cilantro lime ranch, avocado, pico de gallo, low carb