This is the first time I’ve made any kind of stuffed squash, and I LOVED IT! More than I expected honestly. I like chili and I like squash, so I figured I’d like it just fine. But I didn’t expect to feel like these two were always meant to be together! I’ve decided I think it’s because the sweet delicata kind of replicates sweet cornbread for me. And I could marry cornbread. (LOVE). The less healthy and more like straight up yellow cake (ahem – Trader Joe’s boxed mix) the better. Yep.
Since I’d roasted the squash with a little Walden Farms syrup, it didn’t seem too crazy to drizzle a little more on, right over the chili. OH MY GOSH what has gotten into me. I’m starting to think everything might be better with syrup. SO good. I didn’t have that (um genius) thought until after I snapped these photos or I would have made sure you could see it to drool over it.
Ok have I mentioned though that I’m really into sweet and salt? Syrup on my chili and flake salt on my ice cream please. If you’re one of those that keeps your savories and sweets in different corners of the ring then maybe it’s not for you– WHATEVER.
I love meals that can come out of the oven on a sheet pan all at the same time. And this is so quick and easy because of the leftover chili! As my kids get older, our lives just keep getting BUSIER, and I’ve just learned that cooking large batches of things that I can repurpose later is a MUST. I used to think leftovers were garbage, but there are so many things that can be just as good or better if done right on round two, three, or more!
Soup and chili make pretty good leftovers on their own. No risk of reheated meat flavor really… But even still, sometimes you just don’t want to have the exact same meal twice in a week. This was the perfect way to use our leftover soup (that by round two was extra thick and more like chili anyway).
So quick and healthy and delicious. And now I can’t stop imagining all the things that would be good stuffed in these gorgeous little delicata gems and drizzled with syrup…. hmmmm
Maple Roasted Chili Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 1 whole delicata squash- found at Trader Joes and most stores right now mine was 380 g
- Leftover chili- I used this instant pot chicken tortilla soup/chili 250 g
- Lite shredded 3 cheese blend I like the one from Trader Joes (14 g)
- Avocado 30 g
- Favorite low or no sugar maple syrup I used Walden Farms 0 calorie pancake syrup
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with an ice cream scoop
- Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and pepper
- Drizzle maple syrup over the top
- Place cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes
- Take out, flip, fill with chili and top with 7 g cheese per half
- Bake for another 5 minutes just until cheese is melted
- Top with avocado, cilantro and another little drizzle of syrup (sounds weird but I’m obsessed.)
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!