My go-to lunch lately when I skip my favorite turkey sub to save a few carbs. And I’ll admit, there have been days where I think, I could fit the sandwich if I want (and believe me I ALWAYS WANT IT- go look at it, you’ll see why.) But I’ve still chosen this! Shocking to me– but this “panini” really found it’s place in my heart. And really, every carb counts.
I’m such a snob about bread. I really like the real deal and would always choose it if I could. But I’ve been floored at how little I miss when I’m subbing in these pitas. Wish I got paid to talk about them since I can’t shut up about them. But they really are macro-magic at 9 carbs a piece. To build two whole paninis for lunch just feels like a major win.
The chipotle cream and pepper jack cheese melt together to make it so rich and creamy and just a tiny bit spicy. You’d never guess it wasn’t packed with good old mayo. And when you fill them with all of these delicious flavors, and get it all warm and toasty on the skillet… may as well be out to lunch somewhere amazing and girly with your friends!
(Although I never really want to do that because I can make yummier light options at home and it gets embarrassing always pulling out my own condiments and low fat blue cheese from my purse. Confession.)
I just always want to eat like I’m indulging with none of the consequences. Too much to ask? MAKE THIS.
Lower Carb Turkey, Pepper Jack Panini with Chipotle Cream
- 2 josephs pitas
- 100 grams favorite turkey I like a sweet turkey in this- my favorite is Boars Head Honey Maple Turkey.. I also like Columbus Honey and Maple
- 1 Pepper Jack Laughing Cow wedge
- 1 slice bacon
- 30 grams red onion sliced thin
- 50 grams roma tomates
- Handful of arugula
- 20 grams two ingredient skinny chipotle cream can you tell I can’t commit to a name or spelling for this? OH my gawwwsh
- 16 g Trader Joes Green Goddess dressing totally optional, I just love it!
- Trader Joes Everything Bagel seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Spread half of each pita with 10 g chipotle cream and the other half with ½ of the laughing cow.
- Top cheese with 50 grams of the turkey, half a slice of bacon*, half the tomatoes, and red onion
- Sprinkle with bagel seasoning, some salt and pepper, and an 8 gram drizzle of green goddess dressing if using.
- Top each pita with small handful of arugula, fold in half, and place in a preheated and sprayed skillet over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes a side. Press just a little with a spatula as it heats.
- Spray each side with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt as you flip and cook.
- I’m usually ALWAYS going to choose a real, sliceable cheese (low fat usually) over laughing cow. The Pepper Jack is the only exception for me. I love this one on certain meals and this is one of them! I’d use it even if the macros were the same as my sliced cheese. So good.
- If you don’t have the Joseph’s Pitas, of course you can use any pitas, flatbreads, tortillas, or bread! Obviously it’ll just change the macros. These pitas are magic. You can find them at Walmart if you’re lucky and amazon if not. More money, but worth it if you track and feel limited on carbs!
- Add more bacon if you’ve got room! Half a slice per pita seems kind of funny, but it’s all I could afford!