Ok so I know this bowl looks like a million bowls where you just put whatever you like in there. And that’s the beauty of a bowl for sure. But this is not just whatever I had– thrown into a bowl. This is my FAVORITE rice bowl. It’s adapted from this bowl by Half Baked Harvest — and she is an artist and genius. I want to wall paper my house with her images.
The first time I had it was from a friend back when we did a dinner-swap group each week. I was skeptical of the combination of grilled veggies, rice, blue cheese and nuts. All things I like… but just seemed random. I WAS SO WRONG. There was something magical about this EXACT combination to me. The char from the grill, the chewy rice, tangy cheese and toasty nuts. It became a weekly staple for us. And then I started macros.
Like a million things, I thought it would never work! … just a bowl of rice in general seemed like it would never fit again. Plus the cheese, nuts, avocado… I lost hope– and lost a piece of me. TEARS.
And then I made it. And I mixed in some cauliflower rice to stretch it and used low fat cheese and just a little sprinkle of nuts and there it was!!! All the familiar magic. I’m still OBSESSED. And it fits like a charm.
Speaking of rainbows… (sort of) excuse me while I head to Kauai. !!!!!!! Be back in a week to blog some normal food from my normal kitchen and most likely complain about it after being spoiled with sea food and acai bowls for seven days…
Hope someone’s still here! I hate complaining when no ones listening.
- ¼ cup Cooked brown rice Trader Joes frozen is a staple over here (50 g)
- 2 cups Cauliflower rice frozen just so you don’t keep buying it and letting it rot like I used to. (200 g)
- 1/2 cup Simple or favorite grilled chicken I usually just do my basic grilled chicken 100 g
- ¼ cup Grilled zucchini 45 g
- 2 Tbsp. Grilled onions yellow squash and bell peppers are also good additions (28 g)
- 1/3 cup Cherry tomatoes 50 g
- 1/4 Medium avocado 30 g
- 2 tsp. Reduced Fat Blue Cheese 10 g
- 2 tsp. Toasted walnuts 5 g -more if you’ve got room for the fat!
- I sautéed 200 grams of cauliflower rice with some green onions, cilantro, a frozen cube of garlic and some S/P. You could just steam it—that works too. (If you’re lazy like that.)
- Slice zucchini long ways into thick ribbons or spears for easy grilling.
- Slice onions in big rings trying to keep together.
- Spray both with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt/pepper and grill for a couple of minutes per side or until they’ve got good grill marks and have softened. Maybe longer for onions.
- Chop veggies after grilled
- Mix cauliflower and brown rice in bowl (I did 200g and 50g… if I had carbs I’d do all brown! Obviously if you don’t have enough carbs do just cauli… but chewy rice is of course amazing.)
- Top with chopped grilled chicken, veggies, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese (this sounds so out of place but I’m telling you if you EVER like blue cheese this is what MAKES THIS DISH! Such a weird amazing combo), and toasted walnuts (my fat only had room for a tiny amount, but it was still worth it. There is something about the rice, blue cheese, and walnut combo- I’m obsessed.)
- You can eat it straight or with a squeeze of lime, or a drizzle of a yummy dressing like this super light AMAZING creamy cilantro ranch.