Ok so I’ve sort of posted or mentioned some version of this a few times on instagram over the last couple of months… but I’ve really found my groove and am feeling ESPECIALLY grateful for these now that I’m… ahem… cutting. (It’s gonna be ok it’s gonna be ok it’s gonna be ok.)
Super fast and easy, made from stuff I always have on hand, and you can have one or honestly three. They’re so light and yet super satisfying. Like I thought about using corn tortillas which I love… but tacos? I want four. Pitas… two feels like a lot! Not like in an “I almost couldn’t finish it” way because I don’t understand that and it doesn’t happen to me- let’s just make that clear.
Obviously you can put whatever you want in a pita. And probably don’t need a recipe for this, but I’ve done grilled chicken, ham, turkey, shredded chicken, fried eggs.. and for whatever reason this has been my favorite. And I’ve been eating it every single day. (Ooooh although I did just remember the pork with greek salsa was super good. Kind of like this but folded instead of filled…. )
Don’t get me wrong a yolk will always be better than no-yolk. But sometimes an added fat is TOTALLY WORTH IT… and sometimes it gets a little lost and would be better spent for me elsewhere. For me it wasn’t totally shining in here so I don’t even miss it. And while I love good leftover grilled chicken, and obviously good lunch meat… this combination has been my obsession! At least for now. You know I’ll go on and on when that changes.
I love that egg whites are just straight up protein.. and even that, that I can get a little more volume without using up quite as MUCH protein as meat. It’s just such a great volumizer that hardly makes a dent. Plus they take like 30 seconds to cook and then just really lend themselves to the soft, tender, salty pita. I know. I can’t believe I’m going on about egg whites. Most boring diet food in the history of diet food. I used to think removing the yolk was a sin. Maybe I’m dulling my taste buds I don’t know. But piled in these soft pitas with some melted swiss, turkey sausage, bagel seasoning, chipotle creme, fresh veggies and green goddess dressing…. they stretch my macros and have my heart.
Egg white and turkey-sausage pita tacos
- 2 Joseph's pitas found on amazon or usually Walmart! WORTH the search-- 9 carbs a piece
- 140 g liquid egg whites
- 1 slice reduced fat swiss
- 1 jimmy dean turkey sausage link diced
- 50 g sliced roma tomatoes
- 20 g thinly sliced red onion
- 12 g thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 20 g fat free chipotle creme recipe is in this post.
- 18 g green goddess dressing from Trader Joes
- Handful of arugula
- Salt pepper, and everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joes
- Season egg whites with some salt and pepper and quickly scramble with turkey sausage over medium heat. They cook so fast without yolk so turn off heat as soon as they set. Divide into two mounds and drape half slice of cheese over both. Cover and let melt.
- Spray both sides of the pitas with nonstick cooking spray and cook over medium heat until heated through and nice and pliable. Sprinkle with kosher salt while they cook.
- Remove from heat and spread 10 grams of chipotle creme on each pita, followed by cheesy egg whites, tomatoes, peppers, onions, arugula, and a drizzle of green goddess dressing. Finish with some more salt, pepper, and everything bagel seasoning!
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We'd love to see your creations!