Watermelon salad with feta, quinoa, fresh basil and… everything else you see! Not what I’m having for breakfast right now but it’s never too early to be inspired for lunch so I don’t end up eating half a bag of veggie chips before I leave Trader Joe’s.
And with Costco’s pre-cooked quinoa, and leftover watermelon and grilled chicken from last night, I’m halfway there! Obviously it’s a salad, so it’s totally customizable, but for this exact bowl it was 40C 21F 41P and 475 calories. (*The carbs are pretty close to the carbs in my giant daily turkey sandwich. I don’t eat this because I’m avoiding carbs, just because it’s delicious and I probably shouldn’t always eat my carbs in fluffy white rolls.)
But maybe I mostly do.
But when I want a salad this is at the top of my list. SO GOOD.
Watermelon Salad With Feta and Fresh Basil
Disclaimer: the grams I’ve listed manually after each ingredient are accurate for a single recipe, but they will not multiply if you choose the 2x or 3x option. Please make sure and multiply on your own!
For the Salad
- 2 cups 75 g arugula
- 1/2 cup 75 g cubed watermelon
- 1/4 cup 50 g quinoa (I buy the already cooked packages at Costco to make it even easier!)
- 1/4 of an Avocado 25 g
- 1/4 cup loosely packed sliced red onion 20 g
- 1/4 + cup 35 g chopped cucumber
- 1/2 tbs 7 g toasted pine nuts
- 2 large pinches of fresh basil
- 1.5 tbs reduced fat feta 20 g
- 4 oz 113 g Grilled chicken (leftover or grill your favorite with simple marinade)
For the Dressing
- 3 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon
- 5 grams honey drizzle for a few seconds
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil whisk fast while you drizzle slowly
- Balsamic Glaze or reduction *optional
- *I would have always done more olive oil before I watched my fat but if you’re trying to limit fat this worked great. I used 25 grams which is just under 2 tbs of dressing.
- Toss arugula in a little dressing
- Toss quinoa in a little dressing
- Top arugula with all toppings and then drizzle with additional dressing and optional drizzle of balsamic glaze. And by optional I mean do it because balsamic glaze makes everything better.
- Always finish with some coarse salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper. Please.