Quick Thai Chicken Salad
This easy Thai Chicken Salad has been one of my FAVORITE salads for years. When I’m in the mood for those fresh, vibrant, Thai flavors…. there’s nothing better and I feel like it rivals the best Thai Salads I’ve had at restaurants– and yet I know exactly what I’m eating. And while I’m a teensie bit ashamed that it’s not based around a homemade dressing, I’m gonna push that feeling aside because these dressings are so good— and so are the macros– and so is my mood with one less thing to do before I dive head-first into this bowl.
I’ve posted a salad since this one that was pretty much the same thing only I added a bunch of spiralized zucchini. That was a fun addition to the texture and experience… and I ALWAYS love this with some rice noodles or just linguini tossed in. But this cast of characters below will always be my staple fall back Thai Chicken Salad. I think I ate it every day for two weeks in the first months of macro-counting. There’s something about that amazing Trader Joe’s spicy peanut dressing with the fresh cilantro, and MINT! You can’t leave out the mint. I didn’t even think I liked mint a few years ago. But HERE– it’s a game changer. Nestled right in this happy colorful bowl. It just takes it next-level. Like no one will mistake it for that bagged Costco salad.
So I know not everyone has a Trader Joes and that’s ok. Although I’m sorry! If you have one, I love love love this Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette and the macros are good. But since it does have a little fat and sometimes I want to save it for more avocado or maybe even some toasted almonds (or thai cashews from Trader Joes! So good)… I often mix it with some Newmans Own Light Sesame Ginger dressing to stretch the macros a bit. If you DON’T have Traders, that Newman’s one alone is great or I’ve heard Sprouts has a good peanut one (Tamarind brand maybe??? Am I making that up?) OR….. last addition to what feels like a run-on-thought…. try adding PB2 to your sesame ginger dressing to give it that peanut buttery addition…. And I hope I don’t have to tell you that if you never run out of fat please use real peanut butter… and lots of avocado…. and smother this baby in cashews and maybe even those store-bought crispy wontons if you’re not above it.
What totally makes this salad to me are the herbs, the edamame, and the avocado…. and mango… oh and chicken… just do it all k? But especially those things. OH and the butter lettuce. I’m telling you romain is just not the same here. Butter lettuce, so delicate and soft, handles a light dressing so well– I’m obsessed. They’ve been carrying it at Costco for the past few months and I’ll cry when it’s gone. I’ll just lay down on the filthy floor in that freezing cold produce room and cry.Print
Quick Thai Chicken Salad
So fresh and healthy and full of flavor and texture. One of my all-time favorite salads. Throw any amount together that fits your macros and your tastes. I’ll put my amounts from this photo and these nutrition facts in parenthesis below.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Salad
- Butter Lettuce (130 g) (bagged chopped from Trader Joe’s or chop your own head)
- Chopped Cucumber (35 g)
- Shredded carrots (28 g)
- Finely Chopped bell pepper- any color but green (25 g)
- Shredded cabbage (20 g)
- Chopped green onion (10 g)
- 1/4 cup or big pinch of cilantro
- 1/4 cup or big pinch of fresh mint
- Avocado (15 g)
- Edamame (1/4 cup) (I love the frozen shelled ones from Trader Joe’s)
- Chopped Mango (25 g)
- Sliced radishes (15 g)
- Grilled Chicken (100 g)
- Trader Joes Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette (1 tbs)
- Newmans Own Sesame Ginger Dressing (2 tbs)
- Just toss everything together! Always add a good sprinkling of kosher salt and cracked pepper. I like to especially make sure that my avocado and edamame get salted.
- I usually grill a ton of chicken once a week so I’m using leftover grilled chicken to make this extra quick and easy!
- Feel free to use just one dressing, I just love the combo and love the Newmans is so light and allows me to dress it a bit more.
- Also I’ll chop a bunch of all of these ingredients and put them in small baggies in one big tupperware in the fridge. That way I can pull it out and toss a salad multiple times that week… until it’s gone or I’m sick of it!
- Other add ins that are SO good if your macros have room:
- Trader Joes Thai Cashews or any toasted almond, peanut, or cashew, Rice noodles or linguini, zoodles, shrimp instead of chicken
- MACRO-TIP If you love it, make sure and “save as meal” in My Fitness Pal after you log the whole thing once. Now you can just add your “Thai Chicken Salad” to lunch tomorrow and build your big salad on your scale, zeroing out after each addition and adding the same amount as the day before so you never have to touch your phone or scribble on some note pad. (I hated that phase in the beginning!)
- Serving Size: This bowl as described
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Protein: 28
Keywords: Thai, chicken, salad, mango, herbs