This easy, healthy, instant pot creamy buffalo chicken has been exclusive to my first macro-friendly cookbook, Lillie Eats and Tells. But I’ve decided it’s time to let it live over here! It is easily one of the QUICKEST and TASTIEST things to ever come out of my instant pot. In fact I always double it because we NEVER WANT IT TO END.
We love a fresh grilled or smoked meat like the next food-loving family…. but for quick weeknight recipes, you just can’t beat having a bunch of shredded, prepped protein on hand like this creamy buffalo chicken.
One of my all-time favorite ways to eat buffalo chicken, is stuffed in a baked sweet potato! This one was a fan-favorite from the Lillie Eats and Tells Cookbook. Drizzled with a little low-sugar syrup… TRUST ME.
Perfect and easy for tasty, healthy meal prep:
This is one of my favorite things about this buffalo chicken, or really any shredded chicken. It can LIVE ON AND ON. You can reheat it without feeling like you’re microwaving Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. Ew. You can freeze a big bag of it for later. You can use it for a dinner for a friend. It stays so yummy and absolutely doesn’t need to be eaten same-day.
However you use yours, I support lots of extra hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles. But for the other half of you that despise blue cheese, no fear! It’s not actually included in the recipe.
How to Make Your Easy Instant Pot Creamy Buffalo Chicken
Like so many instant pot creations, it’s so easy! Especially if you follow my lead and find some frozen diced onion and frozen garlic cubes. These will make your life SO MUCH EASIER.
- Spray your instant pot with some cooking spray and throw in your chicken, onions, garlic, hot sauce, broth, and seasonings.
- Close the lid and set for 30 minutes!
- Open, and turn to the saute setting while you shred the chicken with two forks (or use your favorite trick).
- Let it saute for 10-15 minutes until the liquid is mostly reduced and your chicken is nice and shredded to soak up all the goodness.
- Turn off heat and stir in cream cheese and parsley. And it’s ready!
It’s honestly maybe the tastiest shredded meat I’ve ever had kicking around my fridge. It makes it SO easy to whip up a delicious snack without having to get that creative! I even love it cold, throw into a jicama “tortilla” (thin sliced jicama) for a low-carb, fresh, crunchy, mouth-watering little number.
And there are so many other ways to use this creamy buffalo chicken. NO LIMITS. But especially, and in no particular order (ha!):
- rice bowls with slaw
- crunch wraps! (you can find a recipe for an actual buffalo chicken crunch wrap in my Macro-friendly Crunch Wrap cookbook here.)
- lettuce wraps
- over spaghetti squash
- you get it
Go plug in your instant pot. When you take that first bite of this easy, healthy instant pot creamy buffalo chicken, you won’t regret it!Print
Easy Healthy Instant Pot Creamy Buffalo Chicken
The easiest, TASTIEST instant pot creamy buffalo chicken. As always, still macro-friendly, low in fat, obviously high in protein and ready to throw into a million meals. A favorite from the first cookbook!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10–11 1x
- Category: Protein
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Low Fat
- 2 lbs chicken breast (about 3 fresh breasts)
- 1 small onion, diced (200 g) (I love using frozen diced onions for a short cut)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced (or frozen cubes)
- 1 cup Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or water)
- 1 Tbs ranch seasoning
- 1/2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 3 oz Greek cream cheese (or sub reduced-fat cream cheese for just a tiny bit more fat- no biggie overall)
- Fresh parsley
- Spray bottom of instant pot with cooking spray, add breasts, onion, garlic, hot sauce, water, Italian and ranch seasonings. Close lid; close vent. Set on manual high pressure for 30 minutes for breasts (12 for tenderloins.)
- Allow the steam to naturally release. Open lid and start shredding but while you do, turn the instant pot to “sauté” setting to let it cook down for 10-15 more minutes (or until liquid is reduced and absorbed, stirring often). Shred the chicken nice and fine, so it really asborbs the juices. You can use your stand or hand mixer to shred, but I’ve found this to be a breeze with two forks and no extra dishes. When most of the excess liquid has reduced, turn off heat. Add Greek cream cheese and fresh parsely, and stir until the cream cheese melts and it’s all well-combined. There shouldn’t be any obvious liquid remaining. Use for taquitos, sandwiches, sweet potatoes, pizzas, etc!
- For slow cooker: Place chicken in the slow cooker. Top with onions, garlic, Frank’s hot sauce, 1/2 cup water or chicken stock (TWICE what the recipe calls for) and seasonings. Combine. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-6 hours until chicken is easy to shred. Shred chicken and toss around in the juices to soak up as much as you can. Discard excess liquid and stir in cream cheese and parsley.
- I usually prefer tenderloins, but breasts have turned out great in this recipe, and sometimes feel so easy! If you use tenderloins, you only need to cook for 12 minutes.
- We love to double this recipe and freeze some to use later. I don’t adjust the cooking time.
- For tracking purposes, search MFP for: “Lillie Eats and Tells Creamy Buffalo Chicken”
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 114
- Fat: 2.8
- Carbohydrates: 3.5
- Protein: 18.6
Keywords: Creamy, buffalo, chicken, shredded, Instant pot, comfort, protein