So I know it’s getting silly that almost any treat I’ve posted over here involves a Flapjacked Mighty Muffin… like I can’t seem to whip up something of my own. But hear me out. I LOVED baking before I started tracking macros, and I still do. What I don’t really love to do is ruin yummy baked goods by making them macro friendly. I feel like you spend so much time experimenting, just to end with something that’s super mediocre but you eat it because you worked hard on it, and if you eat two, or 1.5, you just got the same macros as a real cookie/brownie… etc… and it’s all just kind of disappointing to me.
HOWEVER having a treat every night is an absolute must for me. And I’ve learned WHAT treats work for me, and to WORK for me they have to:
- Taste amazing
- Last a while
- Fit my macros in a normal day while still allowing me to feel good and fed all day.
THIS is the mighty muffin for me. It just doesn’t let me down.
And it’s not a trigger food like a pan of cookies or brownies where I’ll need to go back for another, and another, (maybe another?) Cookies are my all-time favorite but they just go down so easy! With this, you make ONE and build your bowl and then you relish in it with your eyes half-closed for a good fifteen minutes. Or maybe change all the “you’s” to “I” but whatever. But it’s the whole experience that’s so good… so yummy and satisfying and I’ve just found it to be a non-derailing dessert that I can indulge in every night! Like even when I have the macros free for a big homemade cookie under my ice cream, I’ll usually still choose this because I just know it always leaves me happy and satisfied.
BUT the other night, guess what happened. I had to come to terms with the fact that I only had room for HALF of my beloved mighty muffin because I was running out of protein. Happens to me a lot.. especially when I have good grilled chicken on hand and am in salad mode. (I’m not convinced I couldn’t knock out all 140 grams of my daily protein in one sitting of salad if I have my staple fresh grilled chicken. More chicken =more better.)
Anyway, back to dessert (even MORE better). If you know me, you’d know I was panicking. What if it’s not enough? What if the muffin to ice cream ratio is WRONG and there’s not enough gooey chocolate to go around?? Or the worst- what if I get to the end and it just wasn’t enough to give me that almost-too-bloated-but-not-quite feeling that I know and love so well, and my macros are tapped out by then??? All legitimate concerns. (Note the period and not a question mark.)
But here’s the thing. I DID have like ten carbs left, and a tiny bit of fat… which I figured I’d knock out with more toppings but INSTEAD, I got a wild hair and added… ALREADY COOKED OATMEAL to the batter…..and IT BLEW MY MIND. It was so chewy and substantial… like it turned it into a giant chocolate oatmeal brownie/cookie in the bottom of my bowl. And now I’m making one muffin last two nights!! Saving money and macros. WIN. I added a little extra flavor with a dropper of stevia and a little cocoa in case the oats diluted it and honestly– I’ll never go back. And back was good!
I realize maybe I’m the exception, trying to cut back on protein and add carbs BUT even if it doesn’t fit easier, you should still MAKE IT FIT. Because it was that good. And the possibilities are endless once you realize you can use however much of the muffin mix CAN fit. Or as many oats as can fit. The way I made mine gave me a big, gooey, “cookie” in the bottom of my bowl for just 28c 6.5f 13p. I just can’t come up with another treat that’s that yummy and BIG for those macros. That’s close to HALF of one of those Lenny and Larry cookies! (which is like 4 bites and just doesn’t light the fire for me….Just me?)
This probably doesn’t need the official recipe but I’ve got the fancy recipe plug in so WHY NOT?
Skinny Double Chocolate Oatmeal “Brownie” Sundae
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats or you an use ½ pack of Better Oats for even lower numbers!
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 a Flapjacked double chocolate mighty muffin
- 3 tbs water I’ve found different muffin batches to be different so play around with your water amount.. you want it a little thicker than cake batter.
- 1 tsp cocoa powder skip if you don’t like dark chocolate and prefer things sweeter
- 1/2- 1 dropper vanilla stevia
- Your favorite ice cream I used 75 g Halo Top peanut butter cup PLUS 75 g Dreyers Slow churned Coffee
- 6 tbs Fat free whipped cream 15g
- Mini Chocolate Chips 3 g
- Toffee Bits 3 g
- Stir together ¼ cup oats with ¼ cup water in a microwave safe bowl and heat on hight for 2 minutes
- Weigh or split your Flapjacked Double Chocolate Mighty Muffin in half and save half in a small ziplock for tomorrow.
- Into the cardboard cup with the mix remaining, add 3 tbs water, ½ dropper of vanilla stevia, 1 tsp of cocoa powder, and already cooked oats. Stir.
- Add a little more water if it’s too thick. You want it to be like cake batter consistency.
- Microwave for 35-40 seconds depending on your microwave. You want it to look pretty done but have a little moisture on top still. If you like it more done, let it sit for a couple of minutes or heat for another ten seconds. If you like it underdone like me, dump into a bowl.* It will be somewhere between souffle, gooey brownie, or maybe a baked chocolate oatmeal? I just know it’s good. Call it whatever you want.
- Top with your favorite ice cream! The macros below are for my bowl with 150 grams of ice cream as described in the ingredients. (Full disclosure, I usually do 200 grams!)
- *UPDATE– recently I’ve used half of a “maple brown sugar better oats” for even lower numbers. I don’t cook it ahead, just stir it all together with enough water to be slightly thicker or similar to cake batter, and microwave for 40-45 seconds.
- *If it looks TOO runny, I’ll leave some of the runnier parts in the cup and heat for another ten seconds and then add it to the bowl– OR heat the bowl for 10 more seconds. It’s totally forgiving and just gets fudgier in this process so don’t stress about getting it just right in that first 40 seconds! Better to err under.
- Macros for JUST the Oatmeal Double Chocolate “brownie”= 25c 5.7f 13p and 189 calories. If you use the Better Oats it comes to 19.5c 5f 11.5p and 160 calories.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!
Thank you for this yummy creation. This definitely hit my sweet tooth craving.
Hi! I’m droooooling big time – just to clarify…I understand the ice cream isn’t included in the macros, but neither is the FF whipped cream, toffee bits, and mini chocolate chips, correct??
Do you use sugar free dreyers or eddy’s ice cream when you don’t have halo top?
Better Oats are new to me! Do you use the 100-calorie packs or Steel Cut? I’m guessing 100-calorie, but I want to be sure!
Whoops! I saw you linked to the 100-calorie. Thanks! 😀
Yep! 100 calorie! I feel like it’s a dirty trick that the other is out there and for me, it’s way easier to find.
Just so you know, this keeps me on track and I pinch myself with every bite. Thank you for sharing!!!
Oh my gosh I’m SO GLAD!!! That is like exactly how I feel.
Looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!