This is an oldie but goodie…. and BBQ Pulled Pork never gets old in my house. A fresh batch with a giant bowl of the cilantro-lime slaw for these pulled pork sandwiches is a Sunday staple… which means it’s a perfect chance to double the recipe so we can whip up yummy smokey-barbecuey-porky meals all week long! This grilled cheese is a fun twist when we’re out of buns and/or slaw…. or just want something new.
Obviously it’ll survive without the peaches if you’re one of those people that thinks fruit should never go savory. Our friendship wouldn’t. But your sandwich will I guess.
OR if you just don’t have peaches, because it’s not that magical luscious-peachy-time-of-year, or you only have awful peaches because it’s that awful in-between-time when they start showing up at your store and you fall for it, only to find they are peaches in appearance alone —because they feel like oatmeal and taste like water. Or maybe squash? I don’t know but nothing like a peach. THE WORST.
But when they’re GOOD— I want to find homes for them everywhere… and since of course the carbs in fruit can really add up, I rarely just sit down to piece of fruit by itself. NOT because that’s a bad idea, but because I prefer to use those fruity carbs to enhance all sorts of meals and desserts. I just feel like they add more value to my meals that way… and I love them on a pizza or in a panini or grilled cheese! Especially this smokey BBQ grilled cheese. Heaven.
If you’ve already got leftover instant pot BBQ pork in your fridge, this is the easiest thing ever. Easy enough to throw together for lunch. But warm and LEGIT enough to serve for dinner. My favorite kind of leftovers. You can use any bread you want of course, or even the Joseph’s pitas for extra carb stretching… but I love real bread on this. And of course my favorite trick is to use the biggest, airiest sandwich rolls I can find in the bakery section. Bolillos are my favorite but if the pane rolls are bigger that day, I grab those. The bigger they are, the more they rose so they’re lighter in weight and you can get more surface area for your sandwich with less actual bread! And instead of pressing the whole roll for the sandwich, I slice it in thin slices horizontally. Sometimes three, sometimes four, whatever I can get!
Now I’ve got a whole grilled cheese, that tastes like a grilled cheese because WHITE BREAD! And is the length of my shoe… for the carbs of only 1/2- 2/3 of the roll. See the notes in the recipe for how to track it!
BBQ Pulled Pork and Peach Grilled Cheese
- Bolillo or pane roll or other large sandwich roll from grocery-store bakery sliced into 3-4 thin slices –I used two of the slices that equaled 40 g
- 115 g instant pot bbq pork
- 1 slice 28 g lite havarti cheese (I get mine at Trader Joes)
- ½ slice 10 g lite swiss cheese (I just did this to bulk up the cheese because it’s lighter than the havarti- feel free to do all havarti! I get my lite Jarlsberg swiss at my deli counter so I can get it sliced thinner and have it cover more area for the same weight. But it’s sold at Costco and most stores.)
- 15 g caramelized onion I usually have these on hand but if you aren’t addicted like me and need to make them: cook thinly sliced white or yellow onion over medium/low with a pinch of kosher salt and cooking spray for 20-30 minutes until super soft and tender and sweet. Keep in fridge for everything!
- 25 grams thinly sliced peaches apples would be good too… or fig butter from Trader Joes
- 1 tbs BBQ sauce Stubbs has good macros- or Hughes Sugar Free from Walmart
- Use (ideally) two slices from the middle of the roll
- Top bottom slice with cheese, pork, caramelized onion, peaches, and bbq sauce
- Top with other piece of bread.
- Spray both sides of sandwich with cooking spray and brown in a pan on medium-high heat until toasted and cheese is melty.
- *I had some leftover slaw I ended up tucking in and eating with it which is great if you have some left from pulled pork sandwiches.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @LillieEatsAndTells on Instagram with #LillieEatsandTells! We’d love to see your creations!
This look like a nice sandwich Lillie! I have never had a pulled pork with peach grilled cheese in my life. Will give a whirl soon since peaches are nearly out of season. Thanks for the recipe!
I hope you like it!
Giving this a try tomorrow! Peaches are out of season so trying it with apples! Should I do anything prior to the apples before adding them?
Thinly sliced apples, still raw, are great! Sorry I’m probably to late to be useful though. Dangit!