Quick and Easy Romesco Chicken Salad
Keep this chicken salad with Romesco sauce in a special place in your fridge for macro-friendly snacking and to have on hand for lunches!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast or other cooked chicken (300 g)
- 2 cups cucumber chopped (240 g)
- 1 ½ cup celery chopped (150 g)
- ½ cup jarred pepperoncinis 60 g
- ¼ cup green onion chopped (35 g) (or sub red onion)
- ½ cup red, yellow, or orange bell pepper diced (60 g)
- ¼ cup romesco sauce* 60 g
- ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt 60 g
- ¼ cup low-fat cottage cheese 60 g
- 1 Tbsp juice from the pepperoncini jar 15 g
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Chicken: If you’re using some yummy seasoned grilled chicken etc, chop it up and throw it in your bowl and call it good! But if I’m using the pre-packaged rotisserie chicken breast from Costco (which I would never want to eat plain), I like to shred and chop a bit, removing any gross parts. Then I heat a pan super hot, season the chicken with a GOOD pinch of kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and throw it in the pan undisturbed for just a minute. Toss and leave for about 30 more seconds and remove from heat. You don’t want it tasting like re-cooked poultry! You just kind of want to bring it to life with flavor and improved texture. If you do this, transfer to a plate and pop in the fridge to cool while you prep your veggies.
*For the Romesco: I LOVE this homemade version, and love it even more because the macros are lower than the store-bought options I’ve found. But if you’re in a pinch, the Trader Joe’s romesco works too!
MFP: Lillie Eats and Tells Romesco Chicken Salad
Serving: 250g | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.3g | Protein: 23.3g | Fat: 4.8g | Fiber: 1.5g