Summer Chopped Salad with Light Champagne Basil Vinaigrette
I can’t stop eating this salad. And what is it about everything being chopped small that makes it SO MUCH BETTER.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 4
- Category: salads
- Method: Chop and Toss
- Cuisine: California Fresh
For the Salad:
- Several handfuls (150 g ) of Arugula (my favorite) or mixed greens -chopped fine. (Or if you’re not trying to track this as my recipe, just plenty of greens for your family!)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, farro, or your favorite grain (136 g of rice, 175 g farro)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber (130g)
- 1 cup corn sliced off the cob (150 g) (grilled if you’re ambitious! I wasn’t, so I microwave mine in the husk for 3-4 minutes)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (150 g)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion (55 g)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet bell peppers (75g)
- Half of an avocado (60 g)
- 1 oz shaved parmesan (28g)
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped basil (12 g)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint (5g) (*optional, I add it if I have it, but basil is KEY!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Everything Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joes (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) of champagne basil vinaigrette (recipe below)
For the Champagne Basil Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup champagne wine vinegar (can use red wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil
- Juice from 1/2-1 whole lemon
- 1/4 tsp koser salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 7 g (1/2 tbs) honey
- 15 g (1 tbs) olive oil
- 100 g non-fat greek yogurt
For the Vinaigrette:
- Blend together all ingredients from the vinegar to the honey. You don’t have to go crazy here, I like some bits of herbs in mine.
- Continue to blend while slowly drizzling in the olive oil.
- Add yogurt and give it one last whirl.
- Store in fridge until you’re ready to use. Keeps for about three days.
For the Salad:
- Make sure everything is chopped small. Add greens to a giant bowl and top with everything else!
- Drizzle on about 60 g of the Champagne Basil Vinaigrette and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper and everything bagel seasoning if you’ve got it!
- If you’re adding chicken, this apple cider dijon is our go-to! Always on hand in my fridge to throw in to salads all week.
- *Rice and farro are similar enough in macros to use interchangeably- photographed here is rice, I buy the frozen packs from Trader Joes for ease and I love them. But I really love the big thick chewiness of farro! I get mine in a bag from Trader Joes, (it’s on my list of Trader Joe’s Favorites.) It’s easy to cook– just like pasta- boil then drain.)
- I’m not a huge meal-prepper. But when I get hooked on something (like I am this salad, this week) I definitely try and give myself some short cuts. I love to keep baggies stored within one pyrex in my fridge each with chopped cucumber, peppers, corn, and herbs… whatever leftover grain… for easy tossing the next day.
- For macro-tracking in My Fitness Pal, search for “Lillie Eats and Tells Summer chopped salad”. You should find an entry w/o dressing, and one WITH dressing. So you can make this exactly and log your portion, or you can log just the salad if you choose to use a different kind or different amount of dressing! To search the dressing alone, look for “Lillie Eats and Tells Light Champagne Basil Vinaigrette”.
- Serving Size: 250 g dressed salad
- Calories: 217
- Fat: 6.9
- Carbohydrates: 31.2
- Protein: 9.3