Ok here it is! This oil-free basil and parsley pesto! I’m in love. I feel like I’m in a sauce phase right now. I can’t get enough. Especially full of fresh herbs! … I thought they were no fun anymore when I started watching my fats with macro-counting. But this is completely oil-free and I’m obsessed! Just a tiny bit of pine nuts… and yet I didn’t feel like it was sad and diet-y like I’ve found most store-bought low-fat dressings and sauces.
Different, of course, than your average pesto with loads of olive oil and parmesan. But the garlic, basil, and pine nuts made it familiar, the parsley– just a little extra fresh and herby… the orange vinegar adds a hit of zesty fruitiness… and of course the yogurt brought it all together and made it creamy without all of the fat! We ate it kind of drizzle/blobbed on these Moroccan chicken skewers I just posted! I’m having technical difficulties right now with my link option… but you’ll find the skewers one post back.
I realize “blobbed” doesn’t sound pretty. But you won’t care when you’re eating it.
So you should blob some on your chicken too. Or on a sandwich. Or wrap. Or roasted veggies. You get it.Print
Oil Free Basil and Parsley Pesto
Oh I love a good sauce with my protein! And this is one of my new faves!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Dressings and Sauces
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Fresh
- 2 cup herbs of choice- I used half basil, half parsley
- 3 tbs non fat greek yogurt
- 3 tbs orange flavored vinegar (I used and am loving the Orange Muscat vinegar from Trader Joes. Any sweet fruity vinegar would be delicious, but really any vinegar will work just fine. This just give it a sweet hint.)
- 20 g toasted pine nuts (I find these to a great price at Trader Joes)
- 1 clove garlic (or frozen dorot cube)
- sprinkle of salt, pepper, and pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pulse everything in a small food processor until it’s your desired pesto consistency.
- Serve on the side of chicken or fish, or on a sandwich! I love them with these Moroccan chicken skewers!
- Serving Size: 30 g
- Calories: 50
- Fat: 2.9
- Carbohydrates: 4.9
- Protein: 2.1